Hey which one of thses would i use?

Bronze Member
Username: Wink07

Post Number: 24
which one of these wiring options would i use to wire a kicker KX 600.1 amp(300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms(600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)) to two kicker Comp 12" subs(40-150 watt rms, 4 ohms)?
Wiring Option #1
Upload
Wiring Option #2
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 153
Well...Not the first one for sure. That's too low of an impedance. The second one will give you 150W RMS to your subs, with no headroom. Really, if you want to make sure you're getting enough Watts RMS to your subs though, you should just wire the two subs in parallel. To do this, take a look at the second diagram. See how they have to +'s connected, and then to the amp, and two -'s connected and then to the amp? Well that's parallel. The only thing you would have to do it to NOT wire the rear coils with + to -. Just wire the front +'s together and then to the amp, and the front -'s together and then to the amp. Simple as that, you'll have 2 ohms, and 300W RMS for each sub to work with. That way you'll be sure not to drive the amp into clipping!

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 458
Definitly option 2 because that amp is not 1 ohm stable

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2132.html

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 459
Here are the specs -

Kicker KX600.1
Amplifier Specifications:

* Number of Channels 1 - Mono
* RMS Power (4 ohms) 300 watts
* RMS Power (2 ohms) 600 watts
* RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
* Bridged RMS Power Not Bridgeable
* Peak Power Output 1200 watts approx.
* Min. Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Rovin. I don't think that Option 2 is the best way to run those subs in case he ever expands and say adds a 3rd sub or something of that sort. You'll want to wire them as if you were wiring 2 4 ohm SVC subs. Having both coils wired means nothing other than having more wiring options. You'll still get the power from "both coils" even if they aren't both wired at that time.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 467
Well all Kicker owners say their amps birthsheet prove they are underrated .

Maybe i'm not catching what u said but do u mean to wire only 1 coil of each sub ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Exactly!

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 474
Are u nuts , man !

Everybody & their lil brother on this forum knows U must NEVER EVER connect ONLY 1 coil of a DVC speaker !!!
Been said on every single audio install site & is always written in the install manual of every DVC sub u buy .

In your car's 4/8 cylinder engine - Do u only have 2 or 4 spark plugs connected ? .... its the same principle running a DVC sub .

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Umm...No? I've never heard that to be true. What's gonna happen anyways? On my manual for my subs, it showed me the diagrams for wiring, and connecting only 1 of the VC's was acceptable and not a problem. I don't think they put stuff like that in manuals to lie!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4244
Okay, it's not a good idea to use just one VC cause the spec you see for a sub is based on using both.
However, it's not like it's life and death situation. If you only wanted to use one VC, then short out the 2nd VC (connect pos to neg).
The question is, why would you only want to use one VC?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 479
Well @ least on my sub's manual they made sure to print it in bold letters 'NEVER connect only 1 coil of a DVC speaker'

Anyways -
ISAAC ,to answer Matt's question : option 2 as he asked to go with his model of amp is his best option ,right !?

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Option 2 works. And what spec for a sub is based on using both? Surely it's not the RMS/MAX outputs! I have always been told (from a credible source) that DVC is nothing more than giving you wiring options, and does NOT affect the output or quality of music coming from a woofer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
"Speaking generally, a subwoofer will handle the same number of watts
no matter how it is configured. This is because the voice coil surface area
remains unchanged. Therefore the dissipation limits will be similar in any
configuration. What will change is the amount of VOLTS and CURRENT required
to produce the same power(watts). See Ohms' Law."

Ah, I'm glad I kept that Email! Sounds to me like it's really no biggie unless you're some crazy audiophile (like he is) and have to have the world be perfectly round. Sounds like the most problem would be the subs drawing MORE, making the amp work a little HARDER, and therefore the charging system a little HARDER. But in reality it's not going to do any damage to the speaker. YEA BOI! I love being right for once!

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 482
Man u are so wrong !

the issue is not the ohm configuration -its about wiring 1 coil & leaving the other non connected .

'the spec you see for a sub is based on using both' - did u not see what Isaac said ?

- if a DVC sub is rated @ 400wrms it means each coil can output 200 so 200 + 200 = 400 .

Go unplug 1/2 your spark plugs then come back & tell us what happens & also do some reading & admit u messed up bigtime ,bro ....

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I don't think I'm wrong. A sub puts out the same RMS power regardless of whether or not both VC's are connected.

Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3
Last time I checked, a sub puts no power out.....outside of having to have those subs, move to a single 4ohm or find a 1ohm stable amp

Bronze Member
Username: Wink07

Post Number: 25
alright, now that i know what diagram to use, can anybody give me a website that will give me actual instructions on how to wire this, not just pictures and diargram. like somthing with step-by-step instructions. thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 511
Make an attempt dude -its simple wire connections like connect point A to point B

www.bcae1.com
www.the12volt.com

of the tutorial section this site ,u can call them & lie saying u bought xyz & need instructions on how to do it - but really be brave & its all a simple matter of input/out

www.crutchfield.com

Anonymous

i just recently bought 2 12" subs with 1200 peak watts, 400 watt RMS, impedance: 4 Ohms, and single voice coil. i was wondering what size amp i should get keeping price in mind

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1075
tyler, do you wire just one vc of your subs? if so, i can see you supporting your arguement, if not, then it is pointless to argue, when 99.9% of people will wire both.:-)(you being the other .1% if your answer to my question is yes. lol)

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 197
Anon- get either a 800 watt rms mono amp stable at 2 ohms.

Anonymous

matt- how would you hook a mono amp to two subs, and what do you think of the Pioneer GM7100M
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us