Car battery

Child_at_play
Unregistered guest
To all who can help.

I want to modify the air intake of my car. In order to do this I need to move my stock battery to the trunk.

My other option is to use a (Jet Ski) dry cell battery which is about half the size of my stock battery.

My question is will the dry cell affect my sound system in any way? Can it produce enough juce to start my car and work my accesories like a regular car battery?

If it can't then I also thought of useing two dry cells and was wondering the best way to hook them both up. Is a battery isolator needed to have two batteries in a car? Or not?

THanks for your help

Username: Robforton

SpangdahlemGermany

Post Number: 8
What kind of car?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1700
just move the battery to the trunk

Child_at_play
Unregistered guest
Its a Dodge Neon. SOHC with an automatic.
Moving to the trunk is not my favorite choice, because the trunk used to have a leaking problem and I don't know if its fixed. I used silicone to seal up any loose ends, but I will have to wait for another hard rain to see if it works. Second I don't want to drill holes in my trunk to vent the fumes, especally since I leave my back seats down. If the vent slips out that could be bad. Finally I really don't have the room to make it install easily. My subs, tools, road emergency kit and bat take up alot of free space in my trunk. Also I don't have a spare tire well cover so I can't put it down there either.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1704
a: the battery won't gas unless it's mistreated/too quickly charged.
that's not a concern.
b: if you are putting a couple hundred pounds of audio gear in the car, why bother with these dinky performance mods? they won't help in that little neon anyway. If you want performance, buy a sportscar. If you want an audio system like that, forget high performance. They don't mix.
Leave the battery where it is.
You want a battery with good cold cranking amps as your starting battery, and you want a deep cycle for car audio, if you're willing to isolate the two batteries, wire the system properly, and use the proper high output alternator with all of that.

Child_at_play
Unregistered guest
I am not looking for performance. I am intrested in running my car a cooler temps. The air modification will suck in cool air. The stock neon air box is directly over the exhaust manifold. Heat is bad and my engine runs hotter than it should because cali traffic sucks. I have done all I can to run it cooler this is my last idea.
Well if its more practical to move the battery then I will find a way.
So does any one have any reccomendations on where to buy the kit from? Summit has two kits that look OK.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1713
what you're suggesting is a cold air intake, and the actual purpose is to bring cooler, more dense air into the throttlebody of the motor, to increase compression. It won't actually cool the car, as for the process to work, you need to be pushing a lot of cool air into the car, which means you need to be moving at a good speed, and actually what happens is a hotter combustion in the cylinders from the increase in air by being more condensed.
This is the same principle a supercharger or a blower uses, only to a far lesser degree.
It's not going to help I'm afraid.
Now what would help to run the car cooler, is to intercool it with a liquid intercooler such as the ones used with some supercharged engines.

Username: Tyblu

Post Number: 3
Intercoolers are expensive.. I just hooked up a second rad :-) .

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1781
they're expensive because they work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us