Hey Jon, Glass, Issac, etc. ... Please help with amp decisions!!

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 149
Hey guys, I am looking at replacing my current PG Xenon series amp with two separate amp of much better quality. I am currently interested in a PPI AX400 Black Art series amp and a US Acoustics/Zed Audio USA2200 amp to power the comps (although the US Acoustics could also be used to drive my ID Max since it puts out 600 X 1 as well). Both of those amps are in mint condition and work perfectly as far as I know and they put out about the same power I believe. I also like the fact that both are USA made, oldschool models with much better quality. Any opinions on which would be better and how much they are worth, approximately?

Then for the sub channel, I am looking at the US Acoustics mentioned above, a beautiful, mint condition Soundstream Reference 500 oldschool, and a Zapco Reference 500.1 (brand new). The Zapco I can get for $325 shipped and the other two probably a bit less. The Soundstream puts out 500 watts at 12 volts and the US Acoustics somewhere around 600 at 12 volts. The Zapco I am sure you know the specs for. Any thoughts on which of these would be the best choice and how much are they really worth?

I have also had my eye on a Orion Xtreme 800.4 and an original Memphis Belle 6 channel (which could run the comps and sub with only one amp). The Memphis Belle is in perfect condition and has a beautiful chrome finish. Price for all of these would be pretty comparable. I want amps that will provide more power than what I have now, but will also be much better quality and provide SQ improvement. What are your thoughts? Thanks very much.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9875
I'm not as big a fan of US Acoustics, although I do like US Amps (different company) so I'd go with the PPI Art amp and the Zapco.
The Memphis is a nice amp too if you have a use for a 6 channel amp. generally good for setting up a 5.1 system.

drb
Unregistered guest
Justin,
did you have any problems with the xenons or are you just tired of them?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4201
If you have the money, then PPI Art and Zapco is the way to go. Unless you're into surround sound, don't get the 6 channel amp. It lacks in power. There won't be enough juice for the sub.
Orion XTR is a nice amp too. That should still be made in US.
Xtant is another alternative for your setup.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 150
Thanks for the help guys. Hey Glasswolf, why are you not a fan of the US Acoustics amps? I don't have any personal experience with them, but the amp looks/sounds like it would be pretty dang nice. The Memphis Belle amp is supposed to put out about 150 X 2 to the front channels bridged, and 600 X 1 to the rears bridged. That would be plenty for my setup, so should I consider getting it? Also, are neither of you fond of the Soundstream Reference amp? I could actually consider using it as well for the fronts (puts out about 150 X 2 @ 4 ohms continuous, 12 volts). I know the PPI is very nice, but I'm not sure if it has enough power for me. I want around 200 watts RMS to each side and I think the AX400 is rated at 50 X 2 @ 4 ohms (at least that is the spec one of the reps sent me). The other reason I like the US Acoustics is because of the 200 X 2 @ 4 ohm (RMS,12.9 volts) power. Anyway, please let me know what you think. I guess the Zapco is a definite yes for the subwoofer amp, huh? Well, thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9900
new soundstream = power acoustik.

if the Bell puts out the power you need, go for it. Nothing wrong with single amp solutions. Not always a need to run thousands of watts for a good audio system either. Especially if you're not competing in SPL events every weekend for cash.

you really just have a lot to choose from and need to narrow down what you want to use based on price, aesthetics, and power applied or needed.
Figure out what fits your needs and go from there. There are a lot fo amps I would love to have or use, but I just don't have any place to use them so I just admire them and don't bother buying them.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 151
Hey Glasswolf, thanks again for the reply. I know there are a lot of amps to choose from and I am having trouble figuring out what to run mainly because I haven't had any personal experience with many of them and don't know what would be the best choice. I am running a set of CDT HD braxials and an ID Max 12 subwoofer. I currently have the PG Xenon X200.4 amp, which is supposed to put out 200 X 4 RMS at 14.4 volts. My system sounds okay, but I want some more power and better quality overall regarding amplification. I just use the system as a daily driver system and don't need to play music for the neighborhood, but I do like to crank it up on occasion. However, SQ is a necessity at all times (I don't enjoy listening to loud "CRAP"). The amps I listed in these posts are all pretty even in terms of price. Power fluctuates a little as does aesthetics, but I like them all. That is why I value your opinions on them so highly, because I know you can offer some honest and informed advice, and I really appreciate it.

As for the Soundstream Reference 500, it is the oldschool model still made in the US (I believe one of the original models they made), not the new line. Do you have favorable opinions on the old Reference Soundstream's or not? The Memphis Belle seems like a pretty nice amp (certainly the best looking) and I think it would definitely provide more power than what I currently have. How is the quality of this amp (build/sound) in comparison to say the new Zapco Reference, original Soundstream Reference, and PPI art series? I know you mentioned US Amps, which I have looked into a bit. How do they rank, in your opinion, regarding SQ and overall performance? I will probably think about running the Memphis, but if I decide not to and I go the separate amp route, I will probably run the Zapco reference 500.1 for the sub. Then I will just need an amp for my comps. What do you personally like for a frontstage amp? Thanks again for your help and I apologize for asking so many questions. I simply want to make the best, most informed decision I can. Thanks.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9932
be careful upgrading amplifiers thinking you'll get a louder system.. a +3dB increase in audible volume (the average amount you turn up a television volume to make it a little louder) takes twice the amplifier power.. so you need to at least double the power of your current amplifiers to make any noticeable difference in volume.

upgrading amps alone usually doesn't make as big of a difference as most people hope or expect.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 152
Hey Glass, no I certainly understand that concept and I am not trying to upgrade power to double volume or anything. My system can get loud enough for me now (when cranked) as is, but I would like to be able to obtain the same volume levels without driving the amp(s) so hard. Also, like I said, SQ gains are another big reason for wanting to change amplifiers. I know I could just go and buy some Hifonics amps that would allow me to double volume, but that isn't what I am after. Any thoughts on my last post? Thanks again buddy.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 153
Huh, didn't update after this post. Well, here's a bump.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 371
"soundstream = power acoustik"

I only found that out last wk cause i was enquiring about a reasonably priced cap on discountsjungle.com & they said its out but i can get the exact same farad value/price in a Power Acoustik brand cause the same company makes them both !!! Upload

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 372
BTW - i did not buy it ! - Upload

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 373
BTW - i did not purchase it ! - Upload

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 154
bump

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 156
Well, the Memphis Belle amp is out. The guy told me it currently isn't working properly (problem with the sub channels). I still have interest in the US Acoustics and the original Soundstream Ref 500 though. The guy with the oldschool Soundstream also has a Class A 6.0 (oldschool) in mint condition. I know that amp is very nice, but would it be powerful enough to run my CDT HD braxials with ease? I also found a McIntosh MC420M that would probably be nice. What are your opinions on that amp? Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4222
If you can afford Class A or McIntosh, then go for it. They're great SQ amps.
Dump US Acoustics/SoundStream 500.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4659
The amps you've mentioned so far that get me excited are between the PPI Black Art series, the Zapco Reference amps, and the McIntosh. I'd personally choose the Black art for nostalgia reasons, but all are excellent.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4229
Jonathan, don't let your wife hear that. She might make you sleep on the couch for a week.

Silver Member

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 157
Thanks again guys. I think the Zapco is a lock for my sub amp choice. As for the frontstage amp, I like the McIntosh, but it isn't cheap (probably at least $450-500) and I also thought the Soundstream Class A 6.0 would be nice, however no one seems to care too much for Soundstream products (not even the oldschool stuff). Anyway, I probably should have gotten the PPI, but I waited too long and the guy already sold it. Do any of you guys have any other suggestions for a frontstage amp (new or oldschool)? Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us