Hot Hot Hot

Schyea
Unregistered guest
Im running my amp at 2 ohms stereo, the gain is set less than half way, I dont turn up the bass boost more than half way, but I do turn up the volume to like 65/80 or even 70/80. The amp has dual cooling fans. So my question why is it getting so damn hot? And will this damage my amplifier? It doesnt go into protection mode.

robert r d r d
Unregistered guest
all amps get very hot it has alot of current going through it although when it goes into protection mode it means its too hot or another problem so ur ok i would think it would be safe to turn it up some

where is your amp located now
try screwing on the back on the back seats

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9842
it's an amplifier.
it's drawing a lot of current and putting out a lot of power at high volumes
it's about 80% efficient at best so for every 1000 watts RMS, you're creating about 100 watts of heat.
it's going to get hot.
all amps do.

you'd love my Orions. At moderate volumes after about 10 to 15 minutes, you can press your palm on the amplifier surfaces and burn the word ORION into your hand with a nice second degree burn pretty much on contact.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3563
The funny thing is I almost did that with my G4... Put my hand on it and I wasn't expecting it to be that hot.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 643
Wow, sounds really unsafe to me.... :-(

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 506
you could always go to a liquid cooling system. That'll turn a few heads at local comps. But its not even worth close to the money and effort.

Oh and glass, aren't you running all A/B? those must burn up irregardless.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9852
the amplifiers are within their operating specs, so it's not really unsafe unless you're dumb enough to touch the amps when they're hot.. but then a wall outlet isn't safe if you go around licking them all the time either.

yes my amps are class AB and about 60% effieicnt so they generate more heat.. and above I meant to say that for every 1Kw of class D amplifier power, 200 watts are lost to heat. typo.
They get hot but 150degF isn't really enough to burn up the amps. They've run that way for 15 years now without fail.

Just for the record, irregardless isn't a word. I think you meant regardless.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 508
I understand that "ir-" its a redundant prefix, I just like the way it sounds better. According to dictionary.com, its just a nonstandard way to write regardless that doesn't exist in the formal style but is commonly accepted in speech and causual writing. Of all the slang and butchering of the language on the internet and on this site, you picked a strange place to make your stand against the misuse of english, but to each his own.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9874
I have a degree in English. I point out a lot of common mistakes people make. Especially when it involves the misuse of colloquialisms.
Don't feel so singled out that. That's why I pointed it out as an afterthought. I only point stuff like that out for the most part, to people I correspond with fairly frequently. The others I don't bother. If I was trying to be mean though, I would have started with something more like, "hey moron.." :-) I just figure if I point it out in some silly annonymous forum like the Internet, then it's less embarrassing than having it pointed out by someone in person.

Although I suppose in person it's a lot easier to kick the know-it-all in the shin.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 509
haha, a degree in english? I never would have guessed it. Was that a minor or were you just in college for 6 years or something? Thankfully I passed out of English at college. I never enjoyed english class.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us