1993 Ford Explorer Stereo (factory amp)?

Username: Ztech

Post Number: 1
I am trying to upgrade the stereo in my daughters Explorer. I removed the existing stereo but can not find the speaker wires. I have ohmed them out but still can not find. Maybe there is a factory amp somewhere?? Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 497
There's a very good chance that you have a factory amp. Me and one other guy here are the resident experts on explorers. I'll check a couple of other forums tonight but it would help if you could post a picture of the carside harnesses (the ones that were going into the stock radio.) Also what grade is the sound system in the car? If you remove one of the speakers it will either say "premium speaker" or nothing on the back of the speaker. Its my understanding that all "premium" audio explorers before 1998 have external amps. My '96 did. But like I said, I will check on that.

Post Number: 2
Yes the speaker says premium on it. I am getting so frustated because I have ohmed all the wires that connect the stereo then tried to the speakers. There must be an amp somewhere. I have looked all over..

Can we post pictures here or should I just email them to you?? I have a digital camera..

Post Number: 3
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/ZTECH01/100_0937.jpg[/IMG]

Bronze Member
Username: Kaos15th

USA

Post Number: 95
I had the same problem with my dads 1994 ford explorer. The speaker wires are covered in this rubbery thing right? it leads down to the dash board somewhere? I was so pissed of too when i was trying to connect the stereo but then i decided to just run my own speaker wires to the speaker then i was happy i was done.lol

Post Number: 4
There is a stock amp in the rear of the vehicle passenger side. Thanks to scuba steve, I found the amp. The factory radio wires run to the amp ,then to the speakers.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 507
good to see you found it. Did you decide what to do about it? You know you could probably just cut the harnesses and reconnect the wires. My guess is that with the '93, you aren't worried about reselling it with the stock radio back in it.

Post Number: 5
Scuba Steve, that is my plan. Been bust @ work, just now have time to start the re-wiring. Again, thanks for all the information you provided.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 528
just glad I could help

smoked226
Unregistered guest
i have a 1993 explorer and put in a kenwood cd player today and had no problems. i bought a wire harness from best buy for 20 bucks. took about a half hour.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 539
do you have the "premium" sound system?

smoked226
Unregistered guest
yes sir! unless you are puting your own amp on the speakers, i dont see why anyone would want to bypass the factory amp. the kit i bought had a wire to bypass it but i did not use it.

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 541
if you've seen a ford factory amp, you'd want to bypass it, trust me.

Post Number: 6
All wired up and good to go!! My daughter is happy with the new sound. It was a pain but the end result was worth it.
You the man scuba steve ....

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 542
I do love a happy ending

Unregistered guest
I am looking for a Ford Premium sound P100 Radio to a Ford(Sony)10 Disc CD Changer wiring harness? The radio is is my 1991 Ford Explorer and works great. I have the CD changer but am missing the wiring harness. Any ideas?

Username: Rattletrap

Post Number: 1
I need to replace all of the oval speakers in a 92 Explorer (premium sound). Anyone know of another source besides the dealer for an OEM type replacements?

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 620
are all the speakers blown out or something? Ford would probably repace them for 100 bucks a pop, I definately wouldn't go that route. All of these speakers should be a drop-in solution.

http://69.93.14.227/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=50&mfg_acc ount_ID=&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection

The one's I'd suggest looking at on this page are the JL audio speakers and the Alpine type R speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1907
Yeah, that's the perfect reason to upgrade...and it's cheaper to do so even...you'd have to be uh, 'subnormally intelligent' not to do so.

Unregistered guest
i need help. i have a 93 explorer with premium sound. i installed a nice cd player and it works but the speakers dont. one say they just went out. what could be problem? also i bought i wire harness for the premium system but mine was ten dollars is that right?

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 626
you have a factory amp. If you rewire the car, or bypass the amp, it will work correctly

Unregistered guest
how would i bypass the amp

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 627
I wrote up this whole thing about the amp, and how to deal with it. I just can't find it. Give me some time and I may be able to come up with it, or else I'll start rewriting it for ya.

Post Number: 7
Since my last post I have upgraded a few things..

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/ZTECH01/100_0950a1.jpg[/IMG]

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 633
Charles: looks good man. Do you still have that email I sent you about the amp?

Post Number: 8
yes, shall forward it back to you?

Post Number: 9
Below is the email Steve sent me. It was on target.

Charles,
Its hard for me to say at this point because the '95 is the ealiest I've seen and there are many different sound systems that have been a part of explorers over the years, but I'm fairly confident that you have a factory amp. It should be located in the same place mine is, behind the passenger side rear trim panel. This is the panel that cover the entire passenenger side cargo area. Reading http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999 would also be a good idea but its far from a complete guide. Anyway, when you take that back panel off, you should come across something like the amp I found in my car. I posted it here: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/150070.html To solve the problems created by a factory amp and using low quality factory wiring in general, I ran all the wires for my audio completely independent of the stock wires. This was a big undertaking, however, and not really all that necessary unless you'll be using amplifiers. I believe that a compay makes a bypass for the factory amp that will allow you simply to unclip the harnesses attached to it and reconnect them properly with no fuss. For an idea about taking that panel off though, you should check out the JL audio website who makes a product that goes behind that very panel and has instructions on dealing with it. You can find this manual in PDF form by going to http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1492 and clicking on where it says you can download the manual. Best of luck and feel free to e-mail me about your progress, and my help is totally free.

Steve

Briosan
Unregistered guest
I just hooked up my factory speakers to a jenson 650 watt amp, along with my subs. I lost a lot of power from my subs and I think I blew the speakers on the right side. What should I do to prevent this with my new speakers?

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 647
this would be a lot easier if you put a link to a page with the specs of the amp on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us