Need Help Selecting Components

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 164
I'm new to components. I used 2-way and 3-way mids back in the day. Anyway...

I'm looking to purchase a set of 5.25 components. I've been reading elsewhere about setting the supplied crossovers to change impedance and atenuate the tweeters. How exactly does this work? Are the woofers and the tweeters usually a combined 4 ohms? I need a 4 ohm load on each side from my components so I can also power some 4" mids in the dash. I'm just confused as to how these components are set up as far as impedance and the supplied crossovers.

I'd like to go with Diamond Audio mids since I have their subs. Any suggestions on which set? I'll be powering the components and the 4" mids with a Kicker KX450.2.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4581
"I've been reading elsewhere about setting the supplied crossovers to change impedance and atenuate the tweeters. How exactly does this work?"

Passive crossovers with tweeter attenuation simply use resistors in series with the tweeter, some use a resistor in series with the tweeter and in parallel with the network, some use an RL filter. Basically, you're simply adding series resistance to the tweeter to reduce the amount of power supplied to it.

"Are the woofers and the tweeters usually a combined 4 ohms?"

That will depend on the drivers themselves. We generalize when we say 4 ohms, or 8 ohms, which is really an average. Speakers are reactive, they may be 4 ohms at one frequency, and 40 at another. Within a speakers range, it should provide a fairly consistent impedance, though. When you use a crossover, it effectively isolates the speakers from one another, meaning that if the woofer is 4 ohms, the amplifier will see 4 ohms at points where the woofer is playing. If the tweeter is 4 ohms, the amplifier will see 4 ohms at points where the tweeter is playing, if the tweeter is 8 ohms, then the amp will see 8, and so forth. Remember as I said above, speakers are a reactive load, so I'm generalizing this a lot. There really isn't a "final load" to the amplifier, it will simply see whatever impedance is presented to it according to the frequency played, it doesn't perform like a common parallel circuit or anything. Now, for what matters to you, if you were to wire those 4" mids in parallel with the 5.25" components, then the amplifier would see a 2 ohm load (assuming your mids are 4 ohm) at the frequency range where both the mid and the midbass were playing simultaneously.

Now, you can NOT use your 5.25" component system crossover on those 4" mids, that's a no-no. It will drastically change the crossover frequency. Your best option is to have a reputable person design and/or build you a custom passive crossover so that you can operate these drivers within their intended frequency range.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4582
If you want to learn about passive crossover and want to consider building your own, I highly recommend this site:
http://www.passivecrossovers.com/index.htm

You'll learn a lot about passive crossover design.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 166
Thanks for your response, Jonathan.

I don't plan to use the crossover that is supplied with the components on my seperate 4" mids, but this does bring up another question. My KX450.2 has a built-in HP crossover. Will this interfere in any way with the passive crossovers supplied with my components? Will it be okay to use the HP crossover on my amp to cover those 4" mids even though it will also be filtering the signal going to the passive crossover supplied with my component set?

One last question: All of the component sets I've looked at are listed as 4 ohms. Generally speaking, is it safe to assume that these are 4 ohms with the driver and the tweeter together? In other words, if I use one of these component sets and my 4" mids, will I get my desired 2 ohm load? Generally speaking, of course.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4584
"I don't plan to use the crossover that is supplied with the components on my seperate 4" mids, but this does bring up another question. My KX450.2 has a built-in HP crossover. Will this interfere in any way with the passive crossovers supplied with my components?"

You could, but it would basically defeat the purpose of using a 5.25" mid, since you would be filtering at a higher frequency, thus cutting the response of the 5.25" mid.

"One last question: All of the component sets I've looked at are listed as 4 ohms. Generally speaking, is it safe to assume that these are 4 ohms with the driver and the tweeter together?"

Yes, you can be certain that neither driver is less than a 4 ohms. You'll get your desired 2 ohms (generally speaking).

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 169
Well, duh. I guess I threw common sense out the window before that last post. :-)

Okay, I just need to set my HP crossover on my amp to off and use passive crossovers. Without getting into custom-built passive crossovers, what would you recommend for 4" mids in general?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4587
Are they dedicated midranges, or 4" midbass drivers? Generally, 600-700hz is common for midrange drivers.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4589
LPF will depend on the tweeter used, but it can range from 3khz to 7khz, 3-4khz being considered optimal to prevent the driver from beaming.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 170
I haven't purchased any of my mids yet, Jonathon.

I'm looking at the 4" as dedicated mid-range drivers.

Unregistered guest
Alright guys, This is the last time i ask for an amp match for the kappa perfect 6.1. just a yes or no for good match is all i need? Kicker KX550.2 1100 Watts 2 Channels and Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10371
stop hijacking others' threads and open your own.. you might get a reply.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1247
"Alright guys, This is the last time i ask for an amp match for the kappa perfect 6.1. just a yes or no for good match is all i need? Kicker KX550.2 1100 Watts 2 Channels and Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks"

i'm positive i replied to that post in another thread, but i can't find it.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1249
found it:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/162418.html

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10377
that's ok muddy.
that was the fifth time it was his last time to ask.
I'm wondering which one is really the last, and what he'll do then.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1250
idk, but i have seen that ? posted in a few other threads.

it isn't very hard to create a new thread either. lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10388
not hard like it was trying to get an AOL connection.. back in the Meekong delta.. covered in stink and crawling through the rice fields with my trusty AK, and a notebook PC.. looking for a hotspot so I could hack a good feed and download the leaked nekkid pics of jennifer aniston.. now that was hard times, man!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us