Are they lying about MB Quart Specs ???

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 253
http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1100

Look at what the 4th guy is posting - is this model SO really underated ??? , then again they tested @ 14.4 volts .

Let me know cause i was planning on getting it from c.field $299 special .

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4544
Not really. This is why I'm not that fond of the new CEA specifications, the only good thing is that it sets a standard for testing, the bad thing is that it is voluntary, so crappy companies can still pull peak power ratings out of their bungholes, and the other thing is that is sets a 14.4V standard and 1% distortion, in which I don't know of any amplifiers that can't produce less than 1% distortion. Most amps should provide less than .5% of distortion, if not much less than that (depends on the amp type). Basically, to reach that 1%, you'd be driving the amp into a clipping state. That's why these ratings suck. If you lowered the voltage to 13.5 and took the reading when the amp was right at it's limits, results would differ greatly. Don't let Quart fool you, it's just a relabeled Rockford Fosgate amplifier. Not bad, but not great either.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 256
Uh - i think this amp may have come out before RF bought over MB which was just very recently .

The bottom line -its a good value for the $ right ? . I mean in any other brand in the 1000wrms 1ohm it would start at $400/450 & up in that power range .

Then should i still buy it ? - my subs only need 800wrms @ 1ohm .

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4547
Rockford corp bought MB Quart and Q logic out at the same time, summer of 2001. That amp is made in Tempe Arizona right beside RFs amps. MB Quart subs are made beside RFs, too.

Anyway, yes, it's a good value. You'll get the power you'll need from it and their amplifiers are reliable.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 258
That long ago ,huh - i honestly thought that happened just this year ! They probably bought Q so they can use their facilities to make boxes for RF range of subs .

Anyway a similiar power RF costs $180 - so i'll order the MB tomorrow .

BTW - which of those 2 brands are currently ranking higher in either value/quality & in similiar power amps & all products generally ???
... thanks for your replies .

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4551
"BTW - which of those 2 brands are currently ranking higher in either value/quality & in similiar power amps & all products generally ???
... thanks for your replies . "

Don't really track it that close, but they are very similar in quality. RF never made crappy amps, they just lost that upper level quality that is on the Zapco/Arc Audio level. They make good mid-line amplifiers.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 261
Probably they had to go down a notch so that the average joe can afford 1 .

Bronze Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 24
yeah like me i cant afford to pay attention

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
i just read the thread in blue and saw it said at 14.4 volts they tested it at 1200watts and i tell you this my sub is not even jumping like it has 500watts maybe its me i dont know how to adjust it right but my freind had a mtx502 and a thunder5500 and i hit hard every song and was loud i was expecting to crush him it does now (his sytems dead) it that true i also have 2ga wire runing to mine. to little wire can cause cliping. anyway are the specs real from what i heard it doesnt feel like it i am the only one at school with a system and a cool car

http://www.torinocobra.com/guest_htm/travis_johnson.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
to bad i blew the sub today dont matter thought crutchfeild said they would replace it so two pwe352 will make 1 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 106
Jonathan tell me some more about arc audio vs the zap i need to know some more about them site?

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 856
RF just recently began producing the quarts in the US because the company was losing massive amounts of cash overseas in germany. but as jonathan stated, they've owned them for some time.

Sept 22, 2004:
"Due to continued losses at Rockford's MB Quart GmbH subsidiary in Germany, Rockford will discontinue the German operations of its subsidiary MB Quart GmbH. After considering several options, Rockford has decided to place MB Quart GmbH into receivership under German law. This action will eliminate approximately $750 thousand in operating loss per quarter and is expected to have a minimal cash impact. Rockford will continue to own and develop the MB Quart brand in North America. This will result in a reserve against its investment in the MB Quart German operations in the third quarter."

but then again, what IS actually german made nowadays?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4669
"but then again, what IS actually german made nowadays?"
JL Audio component systems, you know, the American company :-)

Clownass
Unregistered guest
My whole system consists of MB Quart speakers/subs...the old MB Quart from back in the day before RF took over. Let me tell you, those were some bad asz speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 947
www.arcaudio.com
www.zapco.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 859
"but then again, what IS actually german made nowadays?"
JL Audio component systems, you know, the American company""
i had no idea. how long has that been the case?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4670
The cones, suspensions, and surrounds, are supplied by Dr. Kurt Mueller and Co, who are VERY highly regarded in the audio industry. Mueller has done the same for MB Quart in the past, as well as a huge handful of high end home audio systems. The ZR components are fully assembled in Germany, the XRs have the tweeter built in Germany and the mid assembled here I believe. JL did all the engineering for the speakers.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4671
Actually, I take that back, I think the XR mids are fully built in Germany as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 865
i guess there aren't many manufacturers that have the bank that JL has for research and production. generally speaking, while europe has always produced great ca, everything of quality seems to have gone from american made to strictly european made. and if it's not made there, it's sold only there. while the US market for car audio has slacked to a substantial degree, it is still pretty significant in european countries from what i understand.
even more and more iasca competitors are calling it quits with not many sq guys to fill their shoes.

speaking of sq, did you finally decide to go ahead and get the w1?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4672
If anyone wants MB Quart stuff, though, go to a Tweeter store or subsidiary. They're dropping Quart for Focal, so you can get good deals, Q series on tweeters website is around $600, full warranty if I remember correctly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 866
crutchfield too. just not the q's.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4673
Haven't decided yet. I'm running through a couple of ideas right now, but the system isn't what's on my mind at the moment. Tomorrow I'm working on the truck changing out a rear main seal, fun stuff, truck sat for a while, so I'm going to go ahead and run over all hoses and gaskets before I do too much with it. While I've got the seal out I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the transmission just because it's out anyway.

Audio wise, I'm not sure. I've got some XRs laying around, but I don't know if I want to do that, plop down on a Dynaudios 240 Mk II system or maybe even a SEAS Lotus Reference system. Decisions, decisions.

You considering that sub, or just wanting a potential status report :-)?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 660
you should sell it and buy a ford...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4674
"you should sell it and buy a ford.."

It is a Ford :-). I'm getting back to my old ways. I got this C-10 from my dad for $500, only reason was because I was hauling lumber for my house and I didn't want to keep borrowing his F-250 from him. Working on an 86 Ranger, got it for gas mileage from my girlfriends uncle after he passed away, they didn't know what to do with it so they gave it to me. Pretty cool though, free truck, runs perfect, I've looked over everything and the only thing is the rear main seal, not that hard, just time consuming. Definately a worthy investment to get a truck that has about 2.5x the gas mileage of mine.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4675
Once these 2007 diesel regulations come out, I'm going to see how prices fare with the extra refinement required, if it isn't too bad I'll probably get a Super Duty. If they go sky high, then it'll be an F-150.

Silver Member

Post Number: 867
"You considering that sub, or just wanting a potential status report?"

just a status report. can't have the SQ without the L, myself lol. XXX are too hard to find at the moment. I talked to Mike at S Splinter, and to achieve comparable sql to my brahmas, he suggested 1.5 cu ft net volume @ 32-34 Hz with 25 sq in of port area per driver (what do you think). he agreed that sealed was not a good idea for output with anything under the 15".

i have never considered anything under the w3 sounding good from JL. never heard any news from them. so it's pretty good to hear that they arent just the "affordable" subs i assumed they were.
also know how fond you are of the lotus'. i'd wager that would be your final choice (if i were a gambling man). i read a review by CA&E on them. very impressed. keep us posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 869
sorry about hijacking your thread (no subwoofer forum).
to answer your question "is this model SO really underated ???

the mbq reference raa 2400 produces:

4ohm=
271.6 watts/channel w/14.07 volts
238.4 watts/channel w/13.28 volts

2ohm=
450.6 watts/channel w/13.83 volts
402.7 watts/channel w/13.06 volts

4ohm bridged=
829.4 watts/channel w/13.84 volts
715.6 watts/channel w/13.08 volts

2ohm bridged (not recommended by mbq but certainly capable)=
1176 watts

solid amp. hope that helps

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
the 4ohm bridged numbers are obviously mono. got carried away with my "monk" like neatness.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 425
Well actually thread was started because i'm planning to get this & so far everybody here said its a good buy

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xOP27JNx3DY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&id=essential _info&i=049RAA1000#Tab

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4686
"i have never considered anything under the w3 sounding good from JL. never heard any news from them. so it's pretty good to hear that they arent just the "affordable" subs i assumed they were"

Since the W3v2 and W0 were out they've made a lot of improvement in R&D to stay ahead, namely their FEA modeling, which they call DMA (Dynamic Motor Analysis). It is engineered with the same methods that produced the W6v2 and the W7, and ensures better operation at high volumes and a flatter BL curve. Once you hear it, it'll surprise you I'm sure, it's a far step above the W0. You can check it out on their website, though. Big improvement over a W0.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4687
"also know how fond you are of the lotus'. i'd wager that would be your final choice (if i were a gambling man). i read a review by CA&E on them. very impressed. keep us posted."

Was it online, or the magazine? Curious to see what they said about them, I like seeing what reviewers say about equipment I really like :-). You'd have to hear the midwoofer to believe it, it is insanely accurate and transparent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 884
breath of fresh air from that audiobahn thread.
anyway, it was a april 2005 CA&E mag. it was actually a pretty good issue. they reviewed also the xetec amp (germany).
they started out by voicing their dislike for small signal parameters, stating that the small voltage levels disallow for testing how the speaker is actually used (regardless of how theoretically linear this is supposed to ensure the driver is).
it was a very detailed review. if i had a scanner i would send it to you.
subjectively, though:

sq-17/20
tonal balance 8/10
low frq ext- 5/10
clarity low vol- 9/10
image- 9/10
fatigue- 9/10
installation ease- 12/20
-------------------------------------------------
on-axis response- 7/10
off axis verticle-7/10
off axis horizontal- 10/10
xbl- 10/10
xc- 8/10
distortion 10/10
parameters 9/10

they concluded that the only weak points were extention in upper highs and in the lows (w/out using eq).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4703
Right what I'd expect it to be. Low end isn't that great, but I'd consider adding midbass drivers in there somewhere if I used them. I figured those would be the complaints.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4705
If you've heard Dynaudios, though, you'll understand how very hard it is to go to anything else. Just imagine going to something different than your Iridiums, you get the idea). You could say I'm pretty much hooked, so I wouldn't bet too much :-).

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
i can relate. although i wouldn't trust my 6.5 without the 3" after your input on the system.
but you dont have that problem w/your dyns. since you already cross them at 700hz, i'm sure they play very well without the 4" (if i understood you correctly).
i'm lookin forward to another car (probably a charger) just so i can audition more components to match with tru amps. that's as far as i've gotten.
you're right though, i would never just throw out my dls's for anything. but i think it would be nice to be able to drive with the iridiums one day, and maybe seas or rainbows the next. positive asperations (considering i'm currently on the broke side).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4709
The 240 Mk II and Esotar sets use a smaller midbass driver than the System 360 does. It uses a 7" midbass, the 360 uses an 8". System 360 is a 3" dome, similar to your set. Dynaudio does have a 2 way set with the 8" midbass, though, it does surprisingly well, only when on axis, though. Main difference between the Iridium 2 ways and Dynaudio 2 ways is the upper midrange performance, Iridiums tend to have a rolloff and sound a bit dark, Dynaudios are good to around 3khz before off axis gets too nasty. Midbass of the Iridiums is a bit more authoritative, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us