Newbie asking: Is an Alpine MRV-F450 Any Good?

Anonymous

Guys,

I've just popped in here over the last two days as I am trying to decide on an amp purchase for my wife's car. I'm going to be putting Pioneer 3-way ( TS-A6870R ) speakers in the doors. I came by them cheap and they are a drop in replacement on her 2002 Mazda Protege 5. Would the Alpine MRV-F450 be any good for this application? I'm sure she will not be overdriving anything, so I'm pretty sure the amp, whatever it is, will not be abused. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It was the 70's since I was up on all the good gear.

Best Regards,

Mark

Username: Aeopav

Post Number: 1
Or, how about this choice between 2 JL Audios:
Slash 300/4 or e4300? I would like the speaker level inputs of the e series, but the Slash seems like a much better power supply. Does anyone have any recomendation? Maybe I don't need the "better?" 300/4 for what I have stated above. Something tells me you guys would recommend the Slash series amp, though.

How about it gurus?

Thanks,

Mark

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4103
JL 300/4 is costly, but still a great amp. Skip the e series.
There is nothing wrong with purchasing a good amp. You can always upgrade the speakers later for better SQ.
That alpine amp is not worth your money. JL is better.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 225
Well i'm not a guru but i do know alot from reading & research .
Why a 4 channel - u gonna use 4 (6x8s) ,1 in each door ??? . Why not use 6.5 components instead or u using those cause u already got it ???

Those Pios are rated @ 50wrms right , guessing @ 4ohms? so that alpine would be underpowered since its only 30 .

That JL 300/4 might be a bit too powerful though it can be used cautiously with the gains turned down some .
The E4300 should work just nicely (cause it been mention they are a bit underated inactual power ).

Hope that helps ......

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 226
Hey , while i was checking it out online & typing a reply , Isaac responded -lol

Post Number: 2
Isaac,

I can get the 300/4 for around $360.00 off of ebay. While that is a bit more than a lot of other amps would run, I understand good power is not going to be the cheapest. How important do you feel it would be to go with an authorized dealer? JL says on their web site that they do not authorize any internet sales.

Post Number: 3
Rovin,

Yes the Pios are 50wrms @4 ohms. I did a stupid thing and popped for them based on the Crutchfield website reviews. Then I saw them for 50.00 a pair with free shipping at Overstock.com. It may not be the best thing to do, but I also have to keep in mind that it is going in my wife's car. She thinks the stock stereo sounds fine and would probably go berzerk if I spend too much. I'm not really big on the really powerfull bass that seems to be the craze these days either. I do appreciate the sound of a good amp comming through though.

By the way, thanks for the info. guys. I'm always appreciative of those who will take a little time to pass on what they have learned.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 228
I know what u mean cause yesterday i installed a pair of Power Acoustik 6x9 each in its own box in my bro-in-law's wagon - he too did not want loud banging bass so i placed them behind the rear seat facing into the rear hatch to act as subs . A VERY low budget install , it (& factory door speakers) being powered by a Jenson mp3/cd HU ONLY & sounds really nice/clean for such a simply set-up .

Not advertising for these sites but
www.discountsjungle.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com
www.sonicelectronix.com are amound the cheapest online stores .

Gold Member

Post Number: 4106
Pavman, you need to compare the price from an authorized dealer vs eBay. If the difference is marginal, then go with the dealer. If however, it's major, then eBay it.
I've seen where the difference was almost 2x. So if it fails, you can get another one and still come out on top.
I'll give you an example, the JL 12W7 in Canada costs $1200 from a dealer, on eBay you can get it for around $600. As you can see, it's not worth it.

Post Number: 5
Lets say I go with the JL Audio 300/4. What would be a good speaker level converter to use. The wife's Mazda has the 6 disc CD changer in it and she loves it. I don't think there is any chance I can convince her an aftermarket HU is what she wants. So.... I need to wire the the amp to a stock HU without RCA outs, right? I'm just wondering if there is a significant quality difference from one converter to the next.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4130
I think JL offers speaker to rca adaptor. And yes, there are significant quality differences between different converters. Stick with JL for SQ.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 242
That i can't answer as i have always use aftermarket HUs - Y not contact www.crutchfield.com & pretend u want to get 1 from them so that their tech dept can help u out ......

Post Number: 6
Isaac,

You... Are... The... Man...!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Post Number: 7
Rovin states the e series "should work just nicely", and Issac, you state "skip the e series". I've been searching the last 10 days now for an amp that will do well for upgrading my wife's stock stereo. I want to buy a good amp, but I'm having a hard time finding one that has good specks and speaker level inputs. I guess the manufacturers feel that if you are real serious about a high power amp, you're going to use an aftermarket HU. As I stated earlier, I'm interested in the JL Audio 300/4, but by the time I've got one of those and the converter, I'm in for more than my wife would appreciate.(tried ebay for a couple of days and things kept going higher than I was willing to go.)

So, question now is guys...

Do any of you have a specific recommendation for a 4 channel amp in the 50w/ch range with speaker level inputs? Keep in mind the first post. I'm not talking about the kind of killer systems you guys typically put together. My wife will not appreciate a $500.00 audiophile quality amp like I would (it is going in her car), but I'll be installing it and I will not appreciate a low quality POS. Know what I mean?

Thanks guys,

Mark

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 287
'speaker level inputs ?' if thats the problem then maybe this can help ?

http://www.google.tt/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.ecoustics.com/bbs/m essages/4/13447.html&ei=DqobQ6DyN8f-4AGN_rjEDA

Unregistered guest
Audiobahn has the A6004T. It is small enough to fit under most seats. It has a 75wt RMS, but that shouldn't be a problem. High level speaker inputs and looks sharp for a less expensive amp. Ebay has these for around the $115 range. Kenwood has several smaller amps that would work.

Just browse through ebay and see whats out there. Stay away from brands like Lanzar, Boss, Pyle, Legacy, Pyramid, Lightning Audio and even Sony. Lots of problems with these brands.

For the price range I assume you are looking in, the Audiobahn should do nicely. Alpines are descent amps but cost way too much. You can get a cheaper amps that is just as good or better.

Unregistered guest
Also, Audiobahn has the A4004T, which is a 50wt RMS output. Ebay for $95 (5806328636).

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 322
i doubt he would consider 'moving downward' to a Audiobahn if he is considering getting a JL .

Post Number: 8
I've been looking at ebay alot ant there seems to be quite a lot tin the $200-$300 range. I'm hoping to keep it around that price. I'm not sure about the Audiobahn stuff though. Seems folks on this board generally feel it is of lesser quality. I do appreciate the suggestions though.

I just looked at a convertor/adapter from JL Audio. They call it an OEM audio interface and it is digital. WOW!! It really looks nice. I'm going to break the bank on this install yet.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4628
It also provides automatic 1/3 octave equalization for 4 channels of the system, that's 30 bands of equalization PER channel. VERY beneficial.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 329
What i would do is get the best u can afford within reason , u already got a middle of the road speakers so don't make the same mistake again & @ least get a very decent amp .

"I'm going to break the bank on this install yet" - hope da wifey don't put ya in da doghouse ! - lol .

Post Number: 9
In keeping with "don't make the same mistake again" I need to ask another question of you guys. How about a Kicker KX600.4? Probably not on a par with the JL, but good enough? I see some on ebay that look like factory refurbs for $129.99. What say you all?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 375
U changed your mind on the JL ?

Everybody will argue with me - but my 2 cents , i don't care for anything used/refurb when it comes to electronics .I just prefer brand new than rather than the same model used or refurb .

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 376
Yea - that kicker can work too

Amplifier Type Multi Channels
Bass Boost With Bass Boost
Bridgable Bridgable
Power Output
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 150 W x 4
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 75 W x 4

Post Number: 10
Not so much changed my mind, but just can't spend that much right now. I'm putting too much money into the cars already. INTO THE GAS TANK !!!

I would prefer the JL by all accounts. I think the wife will love the new system even if it isn't top notch.

The seller is located in Stillwater, OK, where the Kickers are manufactured. Supposedly the units he has for sale are refurbished by Kicker and have only slight cosmetic flaws, electrically, good as new. I just may see for myself.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 379
Well ,if there's an authentic piece of paper that says Kicker themselves refurbed it then u could take that gamble . Brand new it goes for around $400 +
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us