Orion 275 G4 or JL 1000/1 Glass Wolf & Isaac Drop in Please

Bronze Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 76
alright now
As you know I dont beleave in the watt is a watt theory I KNOW DIFFRENT AMPS MAKE SUBS SOUND DIFFRENT
so my question to you fellas is wich 1 of these amps would give a much deeper tight boom but still have the better SQ.

Recap:: I ask this because I listened to some amps MTX and Kicker the MTX was playing the subs louder had a more airy boom but the kicker played much more clearer and tighter with virtually no boom at all this was all low end stuff

and If that g4 is that amp they will be ran at 1 ohm but 1200 watts would not be needed so the gain will be down alot would the g4 run as hott as people say they do at 1 ohm being its not being pushed so hard

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
By the way I will get 2 and run each on a 15 inch avalanch

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9604
the JL 1000/1
it's class D and has both a regulated power supply and regulated output. It runs cooler, puts out more power, and does it at a higher load so you'll get better damping, more headroom, lower THD, and a better S/N ratio. In order to get good power from an HCCA amp you have to run at loads below 1 ohm. The JL can do the same power at 4 ohms, so you'll get a cleaner output with less heat and less power lost to design inefficiency.
The JL and Orion amps you mentioned are like apples and oranges.. totally opposite designs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
ok I have commited to two JL amps
the seller told me for the w7 he has he put at 30hz so he wouldnt loose to much spl
but for my avalanches i could tune to 28 hz and still have alot of spl
chad told me to tune to 28hz aswell
I want it to go really low but still be loud
Glass 28hz is the way to go for low end and still have good spl?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9626
for a fifteen sure that's a good spot for port tuning

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Thanks this sh!t is really going to kick @$$

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4006
LiL Jon, are you saying you're getting 2 JL 1000/1 amps?
If that is the case, why not just get 1 Zapco C2K 9? It's 2000w rms and class D. For the price you'll be paying for 2 JL, it'll equal to one Zapco or might even be less.
I'll take C2K over JL.
I have 275G4 amp. Comparing that to JL 1000/1 is like what GW said, apples and oranges cause of class. However, let me tell you, the SQ is excellent. It does have high damping factor as well as slew rate, xover that can be set to LP/HP and BP.
Ran the amp at 2ohms (about 900w rms) and it only ran warm to, hot enough to warm your hands. It didn't get super hot nor hot enough to burn you.
If you have HO alternator, 275G4 is something worth considering.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
yea i have 2 avalanch 15's.
I am getting 2 JL 1000/1 to push them.

see the zapco I understand is a good amp
I actually considerd the amp I will have the electrical system to back it. But the lowest price I found was at around $1779 that is too thick for me right now.

How much have you seen it for at the cheapest?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
GlassWolf
Gold Member
Wisteria , Lane

The JL can do the same power at 4 ohms, so you'll get a cleaner output with less heat

using a 8volt eclipse would send cleaner signals to the amp would all the factors you added and the quality of the eclipse deck put it in the same leauge as the orion g4 amps as far as SQ?

GlassWolf
Gold Member
Wisteria , Lane
you'll get better damping,lower THD, and a better S/N ratio

what are those things mentioned? and what do they mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4015
LiL Jon, on eBay I saw C2K 9s go for around $900 average. They even had special editions. In spec wise, Zapco is better. Most class Ds have high distortion, but somehow, C2K 9 has a frequency response around 20Hz - 20KHz. Not very common.
JL 1000/1 is a great amp, but I like my 275G4s. Two of those will have enough power for your subs.
Go to bcae1.com and read up on damping factors/SN/THD/Slew Rate etc.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9643
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/ampspecs.html
that link explains those specs pretty simply.

at 2 ohms, a 275HCCA is 300 watts RMS in stereo, or 2 ohms bridged, it's about 600 watts RMS. actually a bit less since it doesn't quite double power at half the load. It's a graet amplifier, but a class D amp isn't going to suffer a lot of the same losses a class AB amp will as you get lower in loads, and to get the same power as a 1000/1 from a 275HCCA, you'll be running it at half an ohm, and that's at the limits of it's power supply.. not much headroom left at that point, especially for subs.

yeah if you're going to spend the coin for two 1000/1 amps at a grand each, may as well get the zapco instead.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
well im getting both for just under a grand is that a good deal?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I just check ebay and couldnt find it
I got a good deal the guy bought a 18 inch XXX
and put his w7s and his amps for sale for $1600
and got a 4k watt crossfire amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 4022
Not really, cause you can get Zapco C2K 9 for a grand. It is a better amp IMO, plus you're dealing with one amp and one power supply.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
I just check ebay and couldnt find it
I got a good deal the guy bought a 18 inch XXX
and put his w7s and his amps for sale for $1600
and got a 4k watt crossfire amp

maybe when the new XXX comes out I will buy it I was gone get the orion D if that zapco price drops as low as you say then i will get it for the new XXX

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
I just notice isaac that was you telling him to sell the amps lol

isaac show me the zapco amp for a G I havent seen it
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=54337

Gold Member

Post Number: 4024
Here's the Zapco's 30th Anniversary 9.0XD Amplifier on sale.
If you like it, then make a deal with the guy. It is worth the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I just saw it Isaac isnt that diffrent from the

Zapco C2K 9
??

Gold Member

Post Number: 4026
No, it's the same. The only difference is, it's a special edition. If I didn't have 275G4 amps, and had some cash, I would've bought that amp in a heart beat.
That amp, even at $1499 is a good deal. I am positive the guy will sell for less, if you make a serious offer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
yea 1 of his JL amps went into protection mode and wont come out
so I maynot can get them

The zapco is $1400 mad money that will be to let go guess i may have to just keep looking

Gold Member

Post Number: 4074
Well you could make a bid of $1000 and hope that no one else will counter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4076
Zapco C2K 6.0 is 1200w rms @ 2ohms. 5803064599.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
SOMBODY STOLE THE F***ING ZAPCOM AT 1 MINUTE LEFT

F YOU @$$ HOLE

eBay: 30th Anniversary ZAPCO 9.0XD Amplifier (item 5801894637 end time Aug-30-05 10:07:05 PDT)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9731
that's ebay for you. need to set a higher max bid next time I guess.. he was just willing to pay more than you for that amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4090
Been there. There are lot of leaches that wait till the last minute.
I remember losing a bid at the last 5 secs of the auction. That was even worse cause I couldn't make any more bids.
Now what I do is, estimate how much an item's worth to me and bid that amount near the end. I of course kinda warn the highest bidder by emailing of my intentions, or just make a bid in the beginning.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us