Which amp???

B-dizzle
Unregistered guest
If i have 2 300W RMS subs, would an Alpine MRD-300 or an Alpine MRD-500 be a better choice?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1667
I'd go Kicker KX600.1
I'm not a big fan of Alpine's sub amps.

B-dizzle
Unregistered guest
Well, if you had to choose one of them, which one would it be?

Bronze Member
Username: Squattingdog

Post Number: 19
but if you have to get one go for the 500 and turn down the (gain?) so you get 300 per plus if you get a third sub you'll have room for expansion.

Username: Eddieballer

Fresno, Ca Us

Post Number: 3
i have two 15"L5 and two 12"vr both in sealed boxes. How can i get the best performance out of them how many amps do i need and can i get all of these subs to hit to their full capacity for under $400?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 428
under $400....hmm...thats a toughy u know that right?

for the comp VR's, a bp600.1 would do the trick

for the L5's - a bp1200.1 would work there

that'll be about $500 or so though

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1933
zignore mister Peever. The gains do not affect power output. gains serve one purpose, and that's to balance the line voltage to teh amp's input stage. This prevents the input stage from being over-driven and clipping. Do NOT use this as a volume control unless you like damaging your speakers with clipping.

Also, the MRD-500 is rated at 500W x 1 (2ohm 14.4V) Had you used a simple web search for Alpine's site you'd have found this yourself.
That means if you even have an alternator capable of supplying 14.4V, you'll only be giving each sub about 250wRMS at full output.
You'll e UNDERpowering the subs with the MRD-500, so why would you want to give even less power?
Now, considering you'll most likely be using a stock alternator which puts out a lower charging voltage, you'll actually be putting out even less power with that amp, so closer to 200-220wRMS per sub in reality.

As for the JBL BP1200.1
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jblbp12001
$289.99 US
less if you look on eBay.

B-dizzle
Unregistered guest
Won't the BP1200.1 give around 600 watts per sub though? And how much volts can a stock alternator give?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1968
stock alternator usually generates about 13.8VDC at charging voltage.

yes the 1200.1 would be 600wRMS per sub, and that was directed to the person with the S15L5 Kicker solobarics.

CompVRs only need about 300wRMS each, so the 600.1 is fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us