80 AMP fuse melted =(

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 74
Hey glasswolf... well yesterday i installed my amp, and subs finally... well i turned up the volume all the way lol, and it just cut off... gayyy... well i checked everything and found out the fuse that connects the power cable to the battery blew... it was an 80 amp glass tube fuse... did it blow because the amp isnt high/low enough? or what... i have a jl 1000/1 amp if that helps... thanks man

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4003
That's a sure way of blowing your subs. Unless you are 100% sure that the HU won't distort/clip at max, never do it.
Have you checked the owner's manual on JL 1000/1? It might need a larger fuse.
I hope you installed HO alternator with that amp.

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 123
if you have 4ga wire you should go with a 125 ANL fuse. 80 won't let you draw all the power you need.
my friend had a 60A fuse on his 4ga and blew it playing a 20hz test tone.
and if yer gunna crank it up all the way, make sure yer amp's not clipping and that yer subs can handle the power cuz you wouldn't want to blow em, they cost a bit more than a new fuse.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9574
yup the 1000/1 draws more than 80A at full output

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 75
wow... thanks guys for your response... uhm how do i tell if my amp is clipping and what can i do to prevent it? dang man car audio is no joke :-) thanks again guys.!

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2065
I have a total of 150A between my 2 amps. I just checked my fuse holder under the hood and its a 250ANL fuse installed. Is this right? I only have 2 amps and a 1 farad cap installed along with the Eclipse Deck.

I also noticed that the battery negative wire was causing sparks when i took it out and put it back in with the engine off. Why is it doing that ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
right, so if you read your EFFING MANUAL... *ahem*, it reccommends a 100A ANL fuse. it also tells you exactly how to set the input sensitivity so you'll achieve minimal to no clipping. you can d/l a 50hz test tone from realmofexcursion.com

as we say here at ecoustics: RTFM

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
MO, maybe start a thread of your own instead of jacking this one? and when you do, give us a little more info/specs on the amps/wiring/drivers.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9601
Ray, www.bcae1.com has a section called "too little power" that discusses clipping. well worth reading..
clipping will be heard as audible distortion in the speakers.

Anonymous

"If your speakers are capable of handling significantly more than your amplifier can produce, driving them with a clipped signal will not likely hurt them."

i learned why the above is true from reading that page, example..

if you have an 8 inch sub that can handle 100 watts and feed it a fully clipped signal its at almost full excursion
if you take that same 100 watt amp and clip it on an 18 inch sub that can handle 200 watts it would move less and have more heat because of moving less BUT the voice coil is designed to handle more heat because its rms is double the power
so the 8 inch will melt and the 18 inch will laugh because its not even sweating yet

(8 inch at almost full excursion is a reference, i know it moves less with a clipped signal)
:-)

Reilly
Unregistered guest
You should consider Free Dishnetwork or Free Directtv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us