Guys smoking crack

Anonymous

I've been out of car audio for a few years now and recently have gotten back into it. Now I'm seeing all these guys posting "I'm hitting 152 with 1 15" sub" I'd like to hear that to believe it. The Loudest vehicle that I sat in hit 146.9 and he cleaned up around this area in unlimited SPL. Heck it would make you sick sticking your head in it, felt like you were going to die or something you definately couldn't talk to each other without screaming in each others ear 50 ft away. Then I get all these young guys saying I hit 155db so I get in expecting to get sick, and all it is a bunch of distortion and you could actually talk to each other while thier subs are supposed to be hitting 155 db. My buddy who hit 146.9 readily competed against guys who had 24 12's in a tunnel. How are you guys obtaining these weird SPL numbers? are you putting the mic in the port or something. If I remember correctly a blast from the guns off a Battleship were something like 160 db and it could kill ya. I think the loudest man made sound is the Space Shuttle and it is 180 db. I'd like to have some of you magic subs. I was told my system that I have hits approx 150+ easily. I just laugh at myself. I think its more like 134.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 809
I think someone did like 187 db in super port wars with one 10". It's super port wars, but only 1 10"? Thats impressive.

Like you already said, they have a lot of noise that they're reproducing, but not music. I'm sure most of them just guess at what they hit, as they really don't know what a solid 150db's sounds like.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9547
super port wars is retarded. they measure at the ports, not at the dash in a sealed car.
On that topic, a lot of claims are on an old AC mic or measured at the speaker or port, which wildly inflates any score.

IASCA/USACi sanctioned scores in a sealed car at the dash with a new termlab mic will be lower but more accurate and reflective of the audible volume. That being said, ten years ago we didn't have class-D amplifiers putting out over 1500 watts RMS for $300 or less, and we didn't have subwoofers from 10" to 18" and larger with an Xmax of 32+mm one-way, and really tight BL curves due to the newer motor designs. SPL oriented subs are readily available now for about $500 or less each, and you can feed them 6Kw of power without spending much more on amplifiers, so compared to the days back in say 1991 when I had a festiva with a total system power of 820 watts RMS and was considered a tremendous amount of power and money, and hit in the 140s with a pair of twelves.. cars today and the people who set them up have a lot more technology at their fingertips, and for a lot cheaper, so it's really not surprising that cars are hitting higher numbers, even with the tighter TL mics at events.
Note most cars in dBdragracing and such that compete with high SPL scores are metered from remote and nobody is allowed inside the car during judging, so the hearing damage and all of that is really kept to a minimum at events now. It's just the ones driving around on the streets annoying everybody else whoc ause the problems.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 874
yea...what GW said :-)

oh, and the highest # ever recorded on the Termlab mic in a sactioned event is a 181.7dB. This was done by Wesly Blachard in a USACi event (w/ 1 10" selenium sub), this score was super portwars...but you still have to give it up for Wesly. Oh...he also competes in USACi mod301-900 class, he does ~156dB in that class(w/ a different vehicle). (he is LOUD, i'm bout 90% sure he holds the Louisiana state record in mod301-900 class)

145-150dB scores are not uncommon at all now-days. In fact, if you go to a decent sized competition, you better bring a 145+ (or even 150+ depending on your class) score if you are planning on taking home a top 3 trophy (at 2x and 3x point shows at least).

here...look are these scores from USACi comps:
http://www.soundoff.org/eventresults82005.pdf

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9583
keep in mind too that SPL competitors build boxes tuned for SPL only, so you're talking 55-70Hz tuned ports in a box (sounds like balls but its loud) and they have sound deadened vehicles and are using quarter-wave tuning at the mic position, along with these long-throw subs with tons of power, and they don't care a bit about how music sounds in many of these cars.. it's strictly set up for being loud with a "burp" tone for fifteen seconds or so.

Back in the mid 90s, people just didn't set up cars for SPL events.. period. Everything was done to be loud, but still be listenable. That's another big change over the last 5 or so years in a big way.

Anonymous

I still don't believe that these guys hit 180+ db with a single 10. Your telling me that a guy with one 10" sub hits louder and harder than another guy with 24 12's? That's kinda stretching it. These meters now days must not be the same 15 yrs ago or even 10 yrs ago. If a guy hits that hard he must kill fellow pedestrians with his massive bass lines.

Anonymous

I got a tidbit of info here.

http://www.privateline.com/decibel/decibel.html

I guess this guy who has one 10 is a million times louder than a fighter jet.

http://www.maa.org/features/mathchat/mathchat_2_07_02.html

zook
Unregistered guest
i bet you can hit 200 with the mtx jack hammer

Anonymous321
Unregistered guest
This topic gives me feelings of deja vu.

Silver Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 707
first of all if you were sitting in the car when it hit 180db, YOU WOULD DIE. your body is not built to handle that kind of pressure.

if you have ever heard 155-160dbs you would understand just how loud THAT is, as compared to 180. and 120 is relatively loud. if i'm not mistaken, the avg. human's threshold for pain is 120 or 130.:-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9602
ok let's clear a few things up.
super portwars events measure SPL at the speaker box/port. that's not an accurate way to measure SPL.
Sanctioned events in IASCA, USAC, etc all measure, as I said before if you bothered to read this whole thread Mr. Anon, at the dash in a sealed car. At the dash, sealed will be a lower score, and the highest ever reached as such is around 172dB in extreme modified, which basically means the car doesn't even have to be drivable or run.. it just has to be loud. a 180-whatever in SPW events is like a 150-something in the real world.

The jackhammer isn't going to hit 200dB. In fact if you saw that uber-ghey MTV show, the guy barely hit 130dB with one in a relatively small car and measured in what was an approximation of "outlaw class" with the windows down and at the kick.

In answer to the comment about old vs new mics, a termlab (new) mic reads about 3 to 10dB LOWER than the old, loose Audiocontrol mics of five and ten years ago.. so a 150dB now on a TL mic would have been a 153 to 160dB score ten years ago.. your theory is actually backward in regards to old vs new. The termlab mic is also much tighter and more accurate in regards to elevational and humidity changes from event to event, so scores are more comparable from city to city and state to state.

people don't sit in a car hitting over 140dB most of the time. at events, as I said before, scores are measured with a mic, from a sealed car, with the judges and display board sitting about 20 feet away, and the competitor controls volume and settings with a head unit on a long harness outside the car, or with a wireless remote.

The loudest vehicle I've sat in was a Stillwater Designs van hitting 158dB at an event, and with something like 12 15" subs and 20,000 watts of power run on an AC building current it was literally painful to be in the van when the music played, even with hearing protection on. It was hard to breathe, and my chest felt like someone had punched me and knocked the wind out of me. It's not the sort of thing you really *want* to experience. I can do 151 with myc ar, and I can tell ya I never get out of the 130s when I use the car from day to day.. that's plenty loud for me and pretty much anyone who's ever sat in the car as well.
People have weird and very misguided or misinformed ideas about SPL and what they really need to be able to hit in their cars to be unbearably loud.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 178
Glass - since you're online (i'm not trying to jack the guy's thread ) about that $50 DB meter from Radioshack - is that worth it to get a ballpark figure of spl in a car ?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9622
nah they only go to 120dB anyway. I have one but I only use it for tuning my HT system to set speaker levels at listener position.

www.splmeter.com has a good one fairly cheap. about 70 bucks I think

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 180
Yeah - i read up on them both a while back & posted my own thread on them earlier this mth but with so many ppl posting questions , like it got pushed out .

Think i'll get the $70 model since i doubt i'll be getting up to 150db & thats $150 too .

1 last question if i may -

What model of multimeter from Sears/craftsman is a good buy ? they have it pretty cheap & i was thinking this $70 model would be good ?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=0 3481077000&tab=spe#tab

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9630
haven't really looked at sears.. I use a Fluke

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9631
that one looks fine though

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4502
Yup, Flukes are the best.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2083
Just ordered a 150DB meter from www.splmeter.com

http://www.splmeter.com//dbm2work.html

Anybody else use there meters ?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 188
OK Glass , if u say that 1 from sears is good then i'm gonna get it - thanks !

Never heard of FLUKE but will check it out . I know about audiocontrol & linear but are so darn expensive - stuff that pros installers might use .

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9646
Fluke makes meters and test equipment for electronics.
They have for years and years.
They make the best meters, and Tektronix makes the best Scopes.

both are expensive though.

for an SPL meter the best is a termlab.
they run about $600 for the mic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us