Amp runs hot

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 415
i think it could be because it's positioned under my seat, but it gets REALLY hot in a matter of maybe 5 min. or playing

could it be a wiring flaw?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 105
What amp do you have? What subs? How are they wired?

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
k sorry bout not leaving enough info, i was in a rush, i have a MTX 942.2, 2 12" kicker cvr, with the amp bridged to the subs,

btw i had a shop do the install so should i take it up with them?

also this is a retarded question but what do you think i should set my bass/treble setings to?, because there all messed up

thx

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4002
Make sure the subs are configured for 4ohms bridged.
If the amp's getting too hot, it could be that the installer wired the subs in parallel for 1 ohms or the gain/level is set too high. It should match the HU's preout voltage.
Set all bass and treble to flat and work from there. If you don't have components, leave the treble to flat and for bass boost, you can increase the bass control.

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
k im pretty sure they are, i double checked the subs wiring like 5 times n all looks good, as far as the gains i have no way in telling if its too high or not, should i just try to tamper with them, i think i'll go to bcae1.com or somthing about the gains stuff

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
oo, and preout voltage is "5v" but i think it's overrated (its a panasonic cq-8301u)

should i treat this HU like it puts out 4v or what?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 196
to me it sounds like they wired it to 2ohm or 1ohm bridged mode which that will not work so try wiring one sub per channel and see how that turns out also make sure that your ground is good..they must have messed up the install because i have that same amp and it will not overrheat no matter how hot it is outside or how long its been playing

zook
Unregistered guest
i agree with quick shot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us