Newbie Q

Username: 69vwvan

Winamac, Indiana USA

Post Number: 4
Ok, Lets say i have a mono amp that puts out 350 rms @ 2 ohm. If i get a dual 4 ohm sub and wire parallel, would that put 350w into each coil, or 175w into each coil?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 45
It would 175W RMS into the speaker itself. I guess if you REALLy want to get techinal you would get 87.5W RMS to each coil, but that is really irrelevant as DVC just provides wiring options, as the SVC model of your sub is going to be just as powerful.

Username: 69vwvan

Winamac, Indiana USA

Post Number: 5
Now, im really confused, ok lets say u still have the 350rms @ 2 ohm amp and dvc sub. and u wire it like this...
Upload
would this put 175 into each coil?

Bronze Member
Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 62
yeah tyler is wrong im pretty sure. if you wire a dvc 4 ohm in parallel, the you will get a 2 ohm load. therefore you will get 350 watts split between the two voice coils. you are right with the diagram.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Wait a minute now, I'm not wrong, I just misread, I thought he had two subs. Marc is right though, I gotta quit presuming everyone has two subs lol.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9552
you'd get 175 per coil. 350 total to the speaker

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Or you could just buy 2 subs and be normal, I mean, regardless if your male or female you either have two testiculum or ovaries! Gotta keep the world in balance here people...

Silver Member
Username: Legacyaudio

Post Number: 157
lol i bet a lot of people who know car audio could put together just as nice as a system if not better with only 1 sub rather than 2

1 sub systems are more efficient IMO- but thats only my opinion

giving a sub that extra space where a second sub could be gives it the ability to get as loud as 2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Uh, let's try this. For example in a normal situation, 1 15" sub would be more efficient than 2 12" subs. Yes, that is true. However, if you go buy 4 12's most likely that will be more efficient due to cone area and so on. Really, multiple woofer systems are more efficient as you have more voice coil to work with rather than a couple of 2"-3" voice coils. I.e.: My dad's home stereo has a total of 24 1" voice coil woofers in it. That will in the end be much more efficient than my 2 Cerwin Vega V-15F's with 2 2" voice coils. They will probably be somewhat equal in loudness, but if you want to consider overall sq with SPL, multiple smaller cones acting as one ginormous cone is much more efficient and is less work on the speaker by far. Just depends if you have the money to waste on an 18" or quite a few 12's. If you have the room for an 18", most likely you have the room for a lot of 12's, and should do that. Smaller cones also are not as sloppy and are more accurate. But hey, people on here seem to think I don't know anything, so go on believing what you want...

Anonymous

shut up

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9606
an 18" can be just as accurate as a 12" if the sub has a good BL. it's all about motor control and power applied. more so than cone area anyway
especially with today's motor designs like XBL^2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Can be is the key word. Kicker's SoloX 18" sub for example, I heard it at an audio shop once, and IMO it sounded like garbage compared to even their smaller Solobarics, where those sounded awful compared to the Comps. I just seems that it would make more sense to want SPL and SQ. So why not go with a lot of really good 12's instead of one massive 18"?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9625
just depends what you're after
and more so what you're willing to spend :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us