Whats a good amp to run two SWR-1242D subs?

AmpQuestion
Unregistered guest
Im looking to buy a new amp to run 2 alpine type R subs. right now i have 1 running off of a kenwood amp and im not happy with the amp and how it sounds. i did an install in a buddy's car yesterday with 2 type R's and a hifonics 1000 brutus amp. it sounded really good. but ive been reading about hifonics amps having problems running really hot at 1 ohm. so i dont know if im going the same route as him. ill have around 200-300 to play with for the amp. so that hifonics is right in my price range, but i was wondering if there are better alternatives.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 779
With that kind of dough, that Hifonics is probably your best option.

Hang with the Kenwood until you have more cash and buy a nice quality amp.

AmpQuestion
Unregistered guest
is the hifonics a decent amp though? like..im not trying to win any competitions here, but i want to feel it right in my chest..and right now my single sub and kenwood amp isnt doin it for me. besides, it sounds muddy and i know thats because that amp is crap that im using. does the hifonics have that problem though? running really hot at 1 ohm and dying out quick?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 784
Hifonics isn't known for their reliability, and as for it getting hot, thats usually a sign of the amp being driven at to low an ohm load.

Some people on here will vouch for Hifonics, and others would rather die before using one.

I would not recommend a Hifonics amp though.

AmpQuestion
Unregistered guest
So what other alternatives do i have besides the hifonics amp? Good brands for a decent price?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 785
Do you have the dual 4 ohms or dual 2 ohms? If you have the DVC 2 ohm model this MB Quart amp would be perfect. I saw it in another thread, and it would be a better ooption than Hifonics.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-c1pCsvHAuqj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=049RAA1000

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 786
It has 1000w X1 @1 ohm.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 787
Plus it's $300 at Crutchfield.

AmpQuestion
Unregistered guest
I have the dual 4 ohm...wouldnt that amp match up with dual 4's better than dual 2's? the dual 2's would put it at a .5 load, the dual 4's would match up at 1 ohm. hmmmm thats not a bad deal.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 790
No. DVC 2 would make a 1 or 4 ohms load. DVC 4 would make a 2 or 8 ohm load.

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 99
You need DVC 4 ohm if you're using two subs.

AmpQuestion
Unregistered guest
im going to be using two subs, so it would be 1 or 4 ohms.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 804
You are correct, I was thinking of a single woofer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us