Which would you choose?

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
I need 1000-1200 rms ( @1 ohm or 4 ohms depending on wiring ) to power 2 subs which ask for 500 rms each. I am looking at 3 amps and need advice as to which to choose. I am certainly open to suggestions on amps other than those listed that are in my price range (up to 1000 dollars).

Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1 w/ subs wired @ 4 ohms - each sub gets 600 rms

MTX Thunder 7801 w/ subs wired @ 1 ohm - each sub gets 600 rms

JL Audio Slash Series 1000/1 w/ subs wired @ 4 ohms - each sub gets 500 rms

Which would you choose and why?

Bronze Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 40
Have you thought about 2 amps maybe (1 for each sub)

2 Kicker SX650.1
2 Jl Audio 500/1

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I was thinking about 2 amps. But, my biggest decision to make is what brand to go with. I am leaning towards 1 amp for a few reasons: Less wiring and thus less cost, cleaner installation etc. All of the mentioned brands make smaller amps that are half the size of the larger amps, but again, I need to first decide on a brand...Any suggestions?

Anybody??

Bronze Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 41
Since you have $1000 to spend you might as well spend it on something nice,JL Audio,Brax,Zapco, Kicker, PPI, Eclipse, JBL,Xtant, and although a lot of people dont like them (I think because of the color) Cadence, all make great amps. It really depends on what your looking for in your system (SQ,SPL,SQL)

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 788
If I had the money, I would get the 1000/1

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 789
As for why, it has the best build quality of the above mentioned amps, and will be reliable as h@ll.

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
Any other opinions? I am looking for SQ.

How nice are JBL amps? I know their home audio speakers in the 60s and 70s were good, but then they went down hill fast. They look good, but as far as reliability and SQ how are they?

Phoenix Gold Xenon looks rather impressive, but are they any good?

What about MB Quart amps...are they crap?

How would you rank MB Quart, JBL, JL Audio, PG and Xtant in order of quality and SQ - 1 being the best?

Any advice based on experiance would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 117
$1,000?

Your budget allows you the best. Don't settle for less. Look at Zapco, US, JL, Diamond Audio etc.

For $1000, you should be able to get one of the highest quality 1200w amps available.

zook
Unregistered guest
they are all really good amps

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 173
Heard so many good things about JL so i would choose that . Alot of ppl never mention MMATS & they are right in that same high end bracket .

What subs are u going to use BTW ?

Silver Member
Username: Bananakrill

Vallejo, California

Post Number: 162
This is what you want. Forget that JL.
Zapco C2K-6.0X - Zapco Competition 2 Ch 1200 Watt Amplifier $1029

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=590

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
That Zapco amp looks like a very good amp.

My speakers are 4 ohm dvc and as far as I know I can't wire a 2 ohm bridged/1 ohm stereo configuration and thus I can't get the 600 watts to each speaker.

Any other suggestions.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 181
Well then 2 of these = $380 each

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=599

Thats the thing with MMATS - all ppl blab about is Kicker/RF/JL but audiophiles who used them will tell u . Since i've been reading this forum its only been mentioned 1 or 2 times since most ppl posting are on low budgets .

http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/products.htm

Ask Glass he will tell u , just today i ran a thread on MMATS 3000 , check out his response . Their power is actually underrated .

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=377

1100 wrms @ 1ohm & only $600 , check dimentions how small & neat looking it is .

HIFIGUY
Unregistered guest
I looked at Mmats web site and it said that woofersetc.com is NOT an authorized dealer and that there is no warranty when buying through them. That makes me wonder where woofersetc.com gets their stuff. That, combined with the extreemly low prices really makes me wonder...not only with Mmats, but their other products as well.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 187
Its the same deal with all the other online sellers - what they do is offer their own warranties .

The way i figure it is the manufacturers offer warranties to individual retailers who probably give them more business than the online sellers .

Really wanna see CHEAPER than woofersetc.com prices , then check
www.discountsjungle.com
www.onlinecarstereo.com
www.sonicelectronix.com

OR simply type the product model on google.com & ya good to go .

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 119
HIFIGUY,

In my opinion, you do not want to get a 2-channel A/B amp for your subs. You need a Class D mono amp. They are more efficient.

Do some searches for Zapco and US mono amps and see what you find.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us