2 Channels vs 4 channels

Anonymous

I want to power 2 pairs of components(4) & wondering if i would still get actual clean stereo sound separation with a 2 channel amp ??? .

Reason i'm thinking is with 1 pair of 4ohm comp per channel ,the ohm would come down to 2ohms & 2 channel amps with power to 2ohms are usually cheaper example with Kicker amps .

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 783
I don't suggest bridging amps to speakers. You do not get separation, and it sounds lousy. Get a decent 4 channel.

Anonymous

My ? is not about bridging a amp or a 4 channel amp -its about using a 2 channel amp with each channel carrying a 2ohm load , thinking about using a 2 channel amp since 2channel 2ohm load amps are cheaper .

& do u normally get stereo sound with 2 channel amps ?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9529
you can run a two channel amp and run both pair in parallel at 2 ohms on the amp.
you'll lose the ability to control fading front to rear, which means you may end up with a dull front stage and no way to balance it out with the rear speakers.
You'll also be running a class AB amp at 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms, so you'll have less headroom, higher THD, less damping, and a lower signal to noise ratio, so overall you're decreasing the sound quality of the output by running closer to the amplifier's limitations continuously.

4 channel amps cost more because you're essentially buying a pair of 2 channel amps in one casing, and you generally have to buy a larger 4 channel amp to run at 4 ohms if you want say, 50x4, than you would have to get in the same 2 channel amp at 2 ohms, which would be rated at 25x2 at 4 ohms.. so yeah its going to cost ya more to do it right, but generally the increase in control and SQ are worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 149
Glass , You are the man ! - that's the kinda detailed answer i was after .

Planning to do a BUDGET set-up using 4 Soundstream XSC.6 Xstream 6-1/2" 75wrms Component System ($70/pair) & install 1 per door in my stationwagon , i already bought 2 Pioneer Ts-DVC306 400wrms subs & built a fac spec ported box .

I know some people totally disagree with the idea of speakers in rear doors ,they say only front stage fill & rear subs is the way to go but i'm after full range sounds coming from right around the interior -'sorta like 5.1 surround sound found in home systems'.

I do not need to actually control front/rear levels so i'm asking , would this model of amp do the job good ?

Kicker 04KX350.2 2 Channel Amplifier

110 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
175 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
350 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode
4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 102
I've got the KX450.2 for my mids. I plan to run it to 4 mids at 2 ohms.

In my past systems, I've always had a 2-channel for mids running at 2 ohms. You do lose some sound quality, but it's not too bad. My mids wouldn't have won any comps, but they were still nice and clear. I had 4 Babb 5.25s powered with a RF Punch 200 at 2 ohms in my last system around 1996 or so.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 103
By the way, my friend is currently running two old-school Hifoncs Zeus amps at 2 ohms to eight 6.5s for his mids in his Passport. We're talking 1800w to his mids. It's surprisingly clear and also painful. He's also running two Zeus amps to his four 12s, but the mids are usually what cause me to turn the system down.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 154
Why the heck would he need 8 6.5 for - lol

What brand/model are those 6.5 & 4 subs ? , post some details so we can all get an idea what some ppl have tried out .

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 104
He's weird about his mids. At one time he would actually run more power to his mids than his subs.

The subs are DVC JBLs. Not sure of the model. I'm not sure what mids he's running now either. I just know he still has two 6.5s in each of his four doors. He ran Sony mids for a few years and Babb mids at one time, but I'm pretty sure he finally upgraded brands and specs. He went through several sets of those Sony mids.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 48
Is Sony legally allowed to make anything that resembles quality, such as midbasses and component sets?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 106
LOL. They made good crossovers back in the day....

Sony seems interested in selling to the masses when it comes to car audio. Make it cheap and sell it cheap at Best Buy. It's a shame too. They make great TVs and some other electronics.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 155
Sound like your pal is 1 wacky dude . More mids than highs , like he wants ppl to hear him a mile away all the while going deaf doing it too -lol

& ppl ask me why the hell i wanna put a 6.5 component in my back door .

As u said 8 - I just remembered a few wks back on p!imp my ride that they installed (4) 6.5 on EACH front door in a Chevelle Convertible i think it was .

Sony car audio still sell alot cause ppl think that since their other home & portable electronics are good - then car stuff must be darn good too ,poor saps ....if they only knew !

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 107
Personally, I like the idea of having mids in the back doors. I also like the idea of having lots of power devoted to the mids, although I'm not weird about it like my buddy is. I think my mids will be rather inadequate as compared to my bass, but I want my mids to fit in the factory locations for now. This limits me quite a bit. I'm stuck with 4" up front and 5.25" or 6.5" in the back. I'm worried about the back speakers since they are in the cargo area, which is where my box will be. I'm gonna stick with the factory locations for now and see how it turns out. I may end up building door panels sooner than later. LOL.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9549
my last competition car had more power for the mids/highs than the subs.. worked out well.
had a 125x2 amp for the mids/highs and an 80x2 amp for the subs

having rear speakers is useful in two situations. if you use a DVD player and actually have DD/DTS, or if you have a larger vehicle and carry rear passengers often for whom you'd like to offer full range audio in the rear of the car or truck. If all you're doing is setting up the system for yourself, you'd be better off spending the extra money on a better front stage and amp than on rear speakers and 4 channels of power.

as for that kicker amp, it's really too large for the speakers you mentioned.
you only need about 100wRMS x 2 @ 2 ohms for all 4 together.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us