Could a hot amplifier fire my car rug?

Bronze Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 72
How about a very hot amplifier? Could it get my car rug (the one in the car trunk) in fire?

Gracias

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1500
Probably not.

The flash point of paper is around 350 degrees celsius(662 degrees F).

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jul2000/964018486.Ph.r.html

Thats awfully hot. I don't know what the flash point of automotive carpet is, but its probably somewhere around there if not higher.

I have heard that an air cooled VW engine can get hot enough to start a paper fire, but I doubt a correctly functioning amplifier would get anywhere near that hot. I'd be more worried about shorting wires. Arcing current can get mucho warm. They use the method to weld metal.

Thats not to say a hot amp can't cause some minor damage. I ran a Class A amp(they get really hot) under the rear seat of my old Cherokee. It left a mark in the carpet.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9526
nah you are not going to catch your automotive carpet on fire. most of it is flame retardant anyway so at best, it'd just melt around the amp a little, but even that would take more heat than an amplifier is going to put out.
Some amplifiers, especially older ones, will get too hot to touch though so be careful there. You can burn your fingers very easily with amps that reach 150+ deg F. for a surface temperature at the heat spreader fins.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us