Radio/CD drains car battery

Username: Hoppyp

Post Number: 1
Hi - I put a Sony radio/CD/mp3 player in my 96 Camry. It works great but if I don't turn it off when I get out, it drains the car battery really fast. Did I wire something wrong, or is that just the way it is? Thanks, marian

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9459
you wired it wrong.
you wired the switched ignition wire to a constant voltage line so the radio is getting power to be fully on even without the keys in the ignition.
that's bad.
the radio should turn off when the keys are removed from the car

Shelpie
Unregistered guest
you are killing your battery - fix this asap or get ready to buy a new one. do as Gwolf says -- your head unit power needs to come from a wire that is only providing 12V power when the ignition is turned to ACC or running.

your battery cannot take being drained repeatedly. it will die permanently.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9462
www.the12volt.com has wiring diagrams for most cars in their vehicle database

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 66
@marian
if you used constant+ (yellow) and you didn't turn off the unit, the battery will be drained. Just like leaving headlights on.

For safety (emty battery) it should be connected to ignition (red) and for memory to constant + (yellow).

@GW an Shelpie
Some people (me) like to listen to radio even without using the ignition key. Besides they may have taken the current directly from the battery to stay separated from the rest of vehicles circuits.

In that case a simple illuminated on/ off switch can be inserted to prevent devices like processors (PXA) from drawing current constantly even with HU turned off.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9478
current draw comes from the battery/constant wire anyway Dirk. the switched ignition wire is just there as a trigger to tell the head unit to turn on and off only when the keys are in the car.
Wired correctly, the radio shouldn't turn on when the keys are out of the car. there's no reason you should need to play the radio without the keys.
if you need other keys on the keyring, just use a disconnect clip for the ignition keys so you can remove them from the ring easily.

Username: Hoppyp

Post Number: 2
Thanks everyone - I knew something HAD to be wrong!

-marian
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us