5v Amp fan question

Bronze Member
Username: Betard

Post Number: 23
I purchased Four 5v 2" fans for my amp rack and I was wondering if anyone had any input on how I should power these?

Since they are 5v I dont think I can just hook them up to my 12v source, plus I guess I will need a relay or something so the fans only come on with the ingnition(remote).

Any set-up sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

can I maybe just set them up in series or or parallel?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3944
Betard, you have an unusual name.
You need to get 12v relay from Radio Shack for $5 and hook it up to your HU's remote wire. Then use the relay to trigger your amp as well as the fans. Since they're only 5v, you will need to get a regulator. If that sounds complicated, then just purchase 12v - 6v adaptor from Radio Shack also. I think they cost around $10.
You hook the fans up in parallel, as pos and neg to each fan.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9395
or wire a pair of the fans in series to get 6V to each one

Bronze Member
Username: Betard

Post Number: 26
Thanks to both seem like great options.

Glasswolf, am I wrong in saying that 6v to each if I ran them in series would possibly go up to 7+volts while the car is running?

Assuming that the charging system bumbs up to 14volts while the car is running.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 431
in my experience, fans aren't too picky about voltage or current, within reason. Hook your fan up to a AAA battery (1.5V) and then a 9V battery. It'll probably work fine with either, or anywhere in between. My guess is that its designed for use in computer cases and computer power supplies only supply 12V and 5V DC power.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9467
yeah voltage will go up buy as noted, fans aren't that particular
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us