Alternator

Silver Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 114
i know this question shouldnt be asked here but mabye time is of the essence for me. Im looking for a new alt for my honda civic 95 1.5L. its 70 amp and well im looking for the cheapest place ebay. I was wondering if this is a safe place to buy alts from? also are all alts built a similar way. i mean im seeing hi performance alts for 250 that produce 170 comparing to a 150 amp alt for 100.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3923
You need to purchase the alternator for your car's make and model. Alternator for a Ford will not fit Honda and vise versa.
I doubt you can fit 170A in your old car. There's not much room under the hood.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
well i know, im looking at honda civic 95' alts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26,1%26item%3D799373525 6&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-NEW-HONDA-CIVIC-HI-PERFORMANCE-ALTERNATOR-1 35-AMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQitemZ7993072353QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-HI-OUTPUT-160A-ALTERNATOR-CAR-A UDIO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQitemZ7993835577QQrdZ1

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 693
www.excessiveamperage.com

Email Nathan. He can hook you up with a kit to rebuild your current one. For my 1985 Jeep Cherokee, a 160 amp kit was $125 shipped. Not bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
wow thank you. That is pretty sweet deal. one more question though. since i have such a low power alt wouldnt getting a bigger alt also mean replacing most of the wiring and fuses for the car? I mean isnt kinda like how high a 1500 watt amp will need 0/1 gauge wiring while a 200 will need 8 or so?

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
You'll need to run a new wire from your alternator to your battery. And a good wire to your amp. Don't worry about anything else. Fuses are fused for what they go to, and they won't draw any more current then they did before. And you should be fine with 2 gauge with a 1500 watt amp. 2 gauge wire (like what comes stock in most vehicles) will handle 300 amp draws for short periods of time (like cracking the car over). My install I'm doing now is with 2 gauge... And I'll be packing 1200 RMS.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9344
after replacing the alternator, you only need to upgrade the wires from alternator to battery, battery to ground, and engine block to frame/chassis. (big 3)
the alternator only puts out more current as needed. not more voltage.
your stock wiring and fuse boxes in the car will all be just fine.
the higher current only goes to the amplifiers as they need it.

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 69
What about the fuse in the fuse box for the alternator? I was just looking at my fuse box and it has an 80A fuse labeled for the alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 707
Yea, upgrade that to what your alternator is set at.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmbq

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 48
"After replacing the alternator, you only need to upgrade the wire form alternator to battery, battery to ground, and engine block to frame/chasis.(big 3)"

Glass,

If the stereo system is grounded by using a distribution block that is connected directly to battery negative as opposed to a chasis ground, do you see any reason to upgade the factory wire that runs from battery negative to the frame and the wire that runs from engine block to the frame after replacing a stock alternator with a HO alternator?? I can't think of one.

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 70
Jake (or anyone),

How big do those blade fuses get? My alt. will be 160A. I was thinking those blade fuses don't go that high.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9370

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 73
Thanks for the link.

Now, what exactly should I do? 80A is the highest rated Maxi fuse available. That site also insists that a higher rated fuse not be used as a replacement. I knew that for the most part. What exactly is this "alternator" fuse for? I'm assuming it is to stop more than 80A of current from running from the battery to the alternator. Will my HO 160A alternator need more than 80A coming from the battery? I'm lost on this one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
yeah thats a good question and thanks glasswolf.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
oh yeah, so the big 3 wires is just regular heavy gauge amplifier wire? not really too familiar with the big 3 :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
I'd use 2 gauge wire (at least), and yea, upgrade that fuse to 160 amp. You might have to bypass the fuse block and put on in-line with the wire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 710
Hell yea, I'm over 700 posts...

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 75
I was thinking about the fact that I've never seen anyone else mention upgrading a fuse for the alternator, so I got out my owners manual for my 4-Runner and checked the fuse section. I think maybe I have mistakenly designated this fuse as an alternator fuse. It's actually labeled "ALT 80A". The manual says it is for the starting system and other items such as Engine, Wiper, Radio, Gauges, etc. etc.

Is it possible that this fuse has absolutely nothing to do with the alternator? It seems a little weird that I haven't seen anyone else mention upgrading a fuse for the alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 712
Yea, I thought it was kinda weird also. On the cars I've paid attention to, they all run straight to the battery. My Jeep is the coolest and simplest setup I've seen thus far though :D.

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 76
I e-mailed Nathan at Excessive Amperage about this 160A alternator he quoted me, but I'd like to see what you guys think here.

He said this was a direct bolt-on with no modifications necessary. Okay, it has been recommended here that I run at least a 2 GA wire from this alternator to the battery. How is this possible if this is a direct bolt-on that will use the factory plugs? Am I missing something here? Will this alternator have a place for me to attach a 2 GA power wire?

If this alternator just uses the factory plugs, I fail to see how it will even help me considering the factory wires cannot hold up to 160A of current.

Silver Member

Post Number: 719
You'll have a connector (usually rectangular) which is your voltage regulator (to maintain ~14.1V). Then there's the power wire, that will have a nut on it. Just cut the end off the one that's already on there, and put an end on your 2 gauge wire, hook it up, and run it up to your battery in a tidy manner. I usually run it along the current wiring, and hold it in place with zip-ties. Run it to that battery, and secure it to the battery.

Also, it should have a little rubber boot around the nut, make sure you put that back on :D. I've had a few people come into the shop lately, and the connection is all corroded...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us