Does size matter?

Bronze Member
Username: Headutter

Post Number: 56
Are there better, quicker reacting caps, than others. If I need a 1 farad cap for a JL 1000/1 which cap is best? Does size of the cap increase it's efficiency or is there a point of over kill?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3902
Size does matter, just ask any girl!

Caps on the other hand doesn't. You only need 1F for every 1000w peak of power. Anything more and it's just a waste of money.
All caps are made the same way, just like power wires.

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 82
Every 1F for every 1000w of peak power..? Ouch... I'm only running a 1.2f cap, and am running over 6k peak... Hrmmm... Guess I should look into getting some more/bigger capacitors, heh.

Any advantage to say two 3 farad caps, over six 1f caps? Or vice versa?

Seth

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
The amp is 1000 watts RMS, not peak. Peak could be 2000 watts. So do i need something bigger?
Are some capacitors better than others at reaction time?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3905
If your amp is 2000w peak and you are using 1F, then yes, you need additional 1F.

Seth, you can get 6 1F or 1 6F. It doesn't matter cause they will add up in total.

All caps are made the same. So they will behave in a similar way. Some you see that are 2x or 3x the cost of another. That is just bs advertising and brand expense.
Take a look at power wires. You will see one that's $100 and another no name with exact spec for half the price. All packaging and Name.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Does anyone know the peak wattage of a JL 1000/1?
JL does not list the peak output wattage, so I don't know what it is. If it turns out I need a larger,(say 2 farad)capacitor or (2) 1 farad capacitors how do I connect them in parallel or series?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3907
The peak can range somewhere between 1.4x - 2.4x the rms. So for 1000w, it's safe to say 2000w peak.
You connect the caps in parallel, pos to pos and neg to neg.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9246
capacitors won't help you if you're using them for voltage reasons. The speed of the capacitor is stated by it's ESR. Generally the higher the ESR, the slower the capacitor is going to be in response times.
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Ok, so the higher the ESR the slower the response times. Give me an idea of the range that the slowest to the fastest fall into. I don't know a base line to start with.
Is there a particular brand that falls into the better, faster catagory or is it like cars in that GM makes Corvettes and Chevettes?

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 108
i'd opt for one big one rather than many small ones, less space, less wiring effort. easy.

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 59
What exactly do caps accomplish, if they aren't helpful for voltage problems?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9262
not a whole lot really.
they act as a smoothing filter, but they won't help if you lack sufficient current from the alternator.
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 61
Thanks.

I wasn't sure what they really did, but I did know from reading all these messages that they didn't solve voltage problems like so many people claim. I told a co-worker last week I was ordering a HO alternator for my 4-Runner and he suggested just getting a cap. I wasn't able to give him details, but I did tell him a cap could not make up for a HO alternator. Now I can explain it better.

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 162
ISSAC SIZE DOES MATTER IDK WHO LIED TO YOU JUST TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER :-)
sorry for the caps but i ahd to to get attention lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us