Bronze Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 17
hi there, i have this set-up....

Chevy Camaro Coupe

Jensen VM9410 Head-unit 7" Screen w/ built-in DVD player
6.5" Infinity in front
6.5" Alpine in back
Alpine MRV-F340 4 Channel Amp (for the speakers)
2 12" Power Acoustik FUBR-12
1 Power Acoustik 1920 Plasma Sphere Amp (880 RMS bridged) (for subs)
Tsunami 1.2 Farad Power Capacitor.

i recently had the jensen headunit (new) installed about a 7 days ago from a professional car audio installer, in replace of an older alpine deck, (no dvd or screen). For the first 3-4 days everything worked fine. Over the past 2 days, however, i would have the system up about 2/3 and all of a sudden my highs cut out and all you could hear was the subs.

And like the highs would come in for like 1/2 second every ten seconds and keep cutting out. So i first thought that there was possibly a loose connection in the back of the new jensen HU. I then fooled around with the volume some more and realized that below volume 11 (it goes to 40) Everything would work fine, but above that the highs would cut out. I then opened my hatch and noticed that the alpine amp that powers the Highs was goin into protect mode (red light). I have no idea why it would do this. My friend suggested that i may need a more powerful alternator, and that the amp is shorting out becuz i now have the Jensen HU with the Screen, but that seemed unlikely to me.

I fooled around with the gain on the alpine amp and when i put it all the way down, I can turn the volume all the was up on the HU, and its not anywhere as loud as my highs had been. When i increase the gain, the amp shuts off. Whats the deal?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 129
check the ground to the alpine amp and make sure thats its secure and only in contact with metal....also it could be that you have the gain set too high try lowering it some until it stops shutting off

Help Me
Unregistered guest
I'm a do it yorself kind of guy,recently I bought a Pioneer system for my truck.
I was succesful hooking everything up just fine,until it came time to connect the amp.I bought the amp kit recommended by the installer but what I don't understand is that the book says not to connect the RCA plugs and the speaker input at the same time,I also have just 1 pos. and 1 neg. speaker output to power 2 subs ,How is the speaker input with 4 wires used?
Please help,I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you,Ed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us