Messed up amp

Username: Traxxasx

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 2
Ok, guys i need some help. I have a rockford fosgate 600watt amp. I had it hooked up in my car working all fine, i washed my car and as i was driving i hit a bump and i guess the amp moved, and there was water around it. So my amp stopped working. First i checked all the fuses and the one on my +(from batt) was blown. So i change it , and turn the car on and that one blew again. So i tried a couple of times, same thing blown. So i checked all the wires (see if they were grounding out) there good. So i tried a higher fuse on the + wire and the amp fuse blew. So i took the amp out opend it and looked at every littel electronic thing inside, every thing seemed fine, so i waited a day to let it dry is there was any water in it, and the fuses kept blowin, so i dunno what could be wrong, and any help would be great. (thanks)

Bronze Member
Username: Pelon777

Post Number: 13
does your system bum and then the fuse blows or it just goes out when the car is turned on??

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3865
Roy, get a DMM and test your power wires. Unhook the pos wire from the battery. Set the DMM to ohm/connectivitiy setting and attach pos to pos power wire. Now take the neg and touch the car's ground/chassis. If you get no reading, then the pos wire is not shorting and is good. Now repeat the same procedure for the ground wire. This time, you should get a reading of 0 ohms or a beep, depending on your DMM setting. That means your ground is good.
Now connect back your pos wire to the battery and set your DMM to DC voltage measurement. Connect pos to pos wire and neg to car's chassis. You should get 12.5v reading (with the engine off). If you get much less, then part of the power wires are shorting out.
If everything checks out, then test your amp.
Since you said you removed the amp, it should be much easier.
Find a 12v battery or power supply and connect pos to pos and neg to neg. See if you get any spark. You might get a small one, but not big enough to cause melt down. Take a small wire/clipper and touch the pos to amp's remote terminal. It should trigger the amp to turn on.
Look for power LEDs. They should respond. If you see nothing, then the amp is blown.
You just need to test things separately.

Username: Traxxasx

Las vegas, Nv Usa

Post Number: 3
ok, no it doesent even turn on. The amp when u turn the key to give (remote) power the fuse blows, so the amp doesent even turn on. Ok i did the car test looks like its good, i just got a car charger and put the + clamp on the (+batt) on the amp and on the remote on the amp. and the -on the ground on the amp. Between the two clamps there are sparks. But no power. Seems to be like something is conecting the +&- toghther somehow. But dont newer amp have a protecter on them. My freind said he saw a yellow light on the amp for a sec then it went away. (thanks guys)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3867
Your amp's power supply is probably blown from the water or shorting.
Those protections built in the newer amps are not always functional. Sometimes it just fails.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us