What does the illumination wire do?

Username: Opel_driver

Ayr, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
hey, i have a 2002 sentra and just put an aftermarket deck in it, but while doing so, i ended up with the illumination wire left over, everything else matched up fine... and the deck works fine, didn't notice any problems with it.

but the first time i drove at night i noticed my dash lights, licence plate lights and running tail lights don't work, brake lights and signals still do though... anyone have any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1404
The illumination wire probably needs to be hooked up to the ignition wire or grounded out. I'm assuming the former, however.

Ayr, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
so its probably +12V, but might be ground? lol

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1413
Yeah, heh, not exactly sure but I'm leaning towards the 12v because I've seen that happen before.

Ayr, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
you've seen the wire be left over, or all the lights die?

by the way, the lights don't just not work, they blew the fuse, then when i replaced it, that fuse immediately blew too

killerzracing
Unregistered guest
the dash lights and brakes were working before you put the radio in right.

i just think that this is just a coincdence

the illumination wire is supposed to go the the dimmer switch so when you turn the lights it dims so it wont look like bmw headlight in the dash. you dont have to hook it up mines not, i just manually dimmed my radio

your sure you replace the fuse with the right fuse, and it aint easy to hunt down the problem in the wiring harness

Username: Kaos13

USA

Post Number: 5
I had that same problem in one of my cars were the back lights dont work and only the blinkers and front lights work it ended up being a wire leftover that was supposed to be hooked up to the stock stereo but it needed to be connected to a posotive wire in the new stereo then it worked just fine

Ayr, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
what colour was that wire that was left over?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us