Need an Amp for 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's

Unregistered guest
Hey, just wanted to know what brand and what type of amp I would need to power 2 Alpine SWR-1242D's. Here are the specs:

Power handling: 50-500 watts RMS
Frequency response: 24-500 Hz
Peak power: 1,500 watts
dual 4-ohm voice coils
sensitivity: 87 dB

Ohh and my budget is around 200-300

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3825
At that price, you don't have much options.
JBL/Audiobahn A8000T x 2 ($140 each) or MTX.
Hifonics are cheap but I wouldn't recommend them unless you have cheap subs like Sony/Pyramid.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 232
Look into mb quart. I am very pleased with mine. It will be pushin ur budget a bit but u can find a good deal on ebay.

Unregistered guest
Thanks guys....I have a couple more question...
What exact specs am I looking for when buying an amp for these subs?
When you said I need 2 Audioban Amps...Why??
Is my price range for an Amp for the 2 Alpine speakers too low??

Thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 59
online you can get an mrp-350 alpine for like 110-130, get two of these and you will have met your budget of under 300. they should put around 350rms @2ohms for each of these subs which will push them just fine. Again this is a cheap alternative, and it meets your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 109
You would want 2 MRD-M605 if you wanting one amp per sub. If you want one amp for both get the T8002 or P8002 and if you have enough get the T10001bd.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 604
or a jl 1000/1 :p

Gold Member

Post Number: 3827
Audiobahn A8000T is 800w rms max. You will get around $600 in reality. So A8000T x 2 will have enough power for each of your 2 subs. At $140 each, they'll still be within your budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3828
Correction: 600w not $600.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
also keep in mind that if you slap two amps on there @ 600 watts a piece, the greater the chance you would need to upgrade your alternator. Those mrp-350s would power those subs nicely, with minimum draw on your alternator. Now if you already have that alternator in your budget then slap them with 600 watts a piece.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 114
I wouldnt run 2 amps that just put 260 out to a sub. Thats a waste of time.Not even a strong 360 either.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 115
I wouldnt run 2 amps that just put 360 out to a sub.Not even a strong 360 either.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 116
I wouldnt run 2 amps that just put 360 out to a sub.Not even a strong 360 either.Especially since the Type r's can take every bit of 500RMS.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 117
Wtf is up with this triple post,sorry guys.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 660
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-KX1200-1-MONO-Sub-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ57 96532495QQcategoryZ79829QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
thats the cheapest GOOD amp i could find...its around $375 shipped....wire your subs in parallel to create a 1ohm load and your good to go

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
wouldnt say its a complete waste of time, i've heard the set up and it sounds pretty good to me. Im not saying that smacking 600 watts on the sub isn't going to sound better, (I have an mrd-m605 with just one and it sounds excellent), but the guy did say he had a 200-300 budget, and if you talk about pulling 1200 watts from a stock alternator, you are looking at more money that's all. But you are right it WILL sound better with 500-600 watts on it, but for his price range and future upgrades he will almost most certainly have to do i just suggested the 2 amps. Those amps usually are more around 370-380 sometimes even more than that. Decent thump, for the price range he wants to be in.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 730
Whats the point of buying a decent sub and then underpowering it? Thats like havinge a Mustang body and a Yugo engine. If you don't have the money now, then save you money and get something that will power those subs good.

You'll be doing yourself a favor because you won't have to upgrade later, and those subs will sound better when properly powered.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 619
exactly .. buying half assed amps because i cant afford a decent one at the time will just end up costing u more money in the end because u will upgrade in the end.. save up and get a decent 1000 watt amplifier.. that way u will have options if you even decide to upgrade your subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us