Does Xenon (HID) lights reduce power for the alternator?

Bronze Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 27
If I install the 350 kit Xenon (HID) or similar, since they claim that consume only 35 watts (instead of the traditional 55/65watts), will it really save energy from the alternator?

(so i can put a little bit stronger amplifier/speakers) for my car?

<dont>

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8950
true HID kits replace the entire headlamp assembly, lenses, bulbs, etc.. and draw considerably more current for the high voltage regulator needed to charge the Xenon gas in the bulbs to the point of discharge.

The fake HID bulbs are just higher wattage bulbs with blue paint on the glass.
Those burn out more quickly, and are mostly just useless.
They also cause issues with refracted lighting in normal headlight casings.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3805
Don't buy those fake bulbs. I've tested them and believe me, they burn out 5x faster than a regular one.
If you want something similar at a low price, then look for bulbs that are 7500K -8000K in brightness but still 60w in power. They give off white/bluesh light and is brighter than normal bulbs.

Bronze Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 30
read this page, it says it only draws from 3-4 amp versus an halogen that draws a constant 10 amps... how true is that for an alternator? (70amp) :-)

http://www.xenonvalot.com/tuotteet_eng.html

-------------------
:: Lower Power Consumption
A 55 watt Halogen lamp draws a constant 10 Amps, while an HID lamp in steady state draws in 3-4 Amps (50-60% less power). As a result of lower power consumption, less heat is dissipated by the HID lighting systems and more power from the engine. Additionally, you will be doing your part for the environment: less power consuption means less waste.
An HID lamp will last four to five times as long as a halogen lamp. The lamp will have a life of at least 2,000 Hrs. For most people, this translates into the life of the vehicle and probably the life of the next vehicle as well.
---------------------

I want to reduce to the maximum my power consumption.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8973
with a 70A alternator what you raelly need is just a bigger alternator.
if you really want to save current draw, take out your air conditioner, strip out the interior of the car to save weight, lose the power steering, and take out the stereo system.

Silver Member
Username: 02gsxr

Post Number: 101
Umm you are very misinformed. A true HID does not replace the entire assembly! It is simply a transformer, starter, and new bulb. They operate on a much higher voltage, and much less amperage. It operates similarily to a florescent bulb.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9061
the higher voltage has to come from somewhere, which would be the step up transformer that uses current to create higher voltage.
the good HID kits I've seen sell for over $600 and replace the lenses (usually with projectors) as well as the bulbs and wiring, and the transformer unit.
The lenses are generally replaced to avoid the rainbow effect some people get switching to HID bulbs.

A toyota celica for example comes with an optional HID headlamp now, but if you want to go from stock to HID using the toyota parts, you have to replace everything down to the lenses.

Bronze Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 52
higher volts..... less amperage???

translation please?
does it saves power in my alternator? (so i can have some spare power to use in a little bigger amplifier? (say 50 or 100 more watts)?

In short... does it help or worsen my alternator?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9079
short answer is watts = volts x amperes.
if HID bulbs use a high voltage transformer that steps 12 volts up to a higher voltage, in order to produce that higher voltage, teh energy has to come from somewhere. In this case, it's current.
Now, depending on how much current, and how high a voltage the lights need to make their rated wattage, that will tell you if they draw more power or not from the alternator.

HID is great, but the trick is getting a real HID kit and not one of the look-alikes that just use blue tinted bulbs to look like an HID unit. If the HID kit does use a high voltage transformer, chances are it's a real HID kit.

You're not going to see enough of a difference either way to have any real effect on your charging system though, if you want my thoughts on the topic. You will get better visibility though which to me, is much more important.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9080
to answer you, xenon bulbs draw less current, yes.
how much less depends on the system, and how much difference that makes will vary as well.

I don't know that switching to an HID setup will help you much. You're still better off just getting a bigger alternator to handle the added draw of the audio system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3833
High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting technology replaces the filament of the light bulb with a capsule of gas. The light is emitted from an arc discharge between two closely spaced electrodes hermetically sealed inside a small quartz glass tubular envelope capsule. To operate, they require ballasts, which supply proper voltage and control current. The amount of light produced is greater than a standard halogen bulb, while consuming LESS POWER, and more closely approximating the color temperature of natural daylight.

Some of the advantages of HID lights over conventional halogen lights:

More light output - uses about 1/3 less than conventional lights (55w vs 18w) and is more efficient.

Whiter light - The color temperature of HID lights are much closer to the color temperature of natural daylight.

Longer service life - HID lamps will last 3 to 5 times longer than halogen bulbs.

Over all, it will use much less power than conventional halogen lights.

Unregistered guest
I've noticed my alternator gage showing a slight discharge all the time. It moves more negative when I turn on the A/C but moves back toward center when I turn it off. Today it was fully discharging and I was told the battery was bad. The green light on the battery had gone out. My vehicle is a 2000 Chevy Silverado and the battery is the original. I was told the alternator tested out as OK. This is the second time this has happened to the battery. Here's what I've added to my stock alternator. A CB radio,which draws 45 watts, Linear,650 watts, fog lights,and Silverstar High Performance low beams. The fog lights are never used and the Linear is seldom used. My question is: why does my alternator show it's discharging? I have several friends running more power than me but do not have the discharge problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3940
Who tested your alternator?
"This is the second time this has happened to the battery"

Does that mean you had to replace the battery twice? Best thing you can do is get a DMM and measure the voltage. Monitor it with engine off, then with engine on. As you use devices, see if the voltage drops. If it stays above 12.5v, then the alternator is supplying the power, if it shows 12.5v or less, then the battery is supplying everything.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2027
Yeah, i have a digital pos. distribution block in my cargo area and it tells me what the voltage is when the car is off and it almost always reads 13.0 or 13.1 when the car is off and like 14.1 or so when the car is on and somtimes more. Here is a picture of what i have.Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us