7 Amps - Need Recommendations

Bronze Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 16
Need some recommendations and ratings on these 7 amps. I've been comparing for days now, but I'm reluctant to pick one and make the purchase.

1) Kicker KX1200.1 - 1200w X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm - Approx. $380.00 shipped. I've been reading that these amps give anywhere from 100-250 more RMS watts than the rating.

2) Orion 1200D - 1200w X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm - Approx. $370.00 shipped.

3) Memphis Audio Reference PRD1000.1 - 1000w X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm - Approx. $300.00 shipped.

4) Diamond Audio D61000.1 - 1000w X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm - Approx. $400.00 shipped.

5) JBL GTO1201.1 II - 1200w X 1 RMS @ 2 ohms - Approx. $340.00 shipped.

6) Alpine MRD-M1005 V12 Digital - 1000w X 1 RMS @ 2 ohms - Rated @ 14.4v - Approx. $400.00 shipped.

7) PPI DCX1000.1 - 1000w X 1 RMS @ 1 ohm - Approx. $385.00 shipped.

Which would you pick and why? If anyone would like to rank them in order, that would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the Orion or Kicker right now, but I don't want to rush into anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 85
Am no expert but have been reading alot up on those myself lately .
6 of those are the same 1 ohm configuration BUT the JBL is 2ohms - when u wire your sub(s) can it take 1200wrms @ 2ohms ? , that's a big deal to note .

Those all being in the same price range , i would take the higher 1200wrms either Orion or Kicker like u suggesting - flip a coin & chose either of the 2 , maybe Kicker if u said they give more than rated & its better looking than the rest too if thats a + .

Bronze Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 86
OOps - also that Alpine is @ 2ohms & 14.4volts , slipped down lower in this ranking ....

BTW , i saw some PPI amps in person yesterday - kinda ugly looking if u are setting up your stuff to display though lol ....

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 23
Thanks, Rovin.

The ohm load isn't too much of a concern right now. I plan to purchase my mono amp first, then select the proper subs for the amp's output and impedance requirements. Right now, I'm just trying to decide on the best 1000w-1200w amp in this price range.

How 'bout it, Glass Wolf, Isaac, Jack? The more opinions the better.

Bronze Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 88
James - You DEFINITELY need to think of ohms upfront before buying either amp or speakers . Reason - suppose u get 2 subs that are 4ohm dual coil (DVC) then connected together would = 1ohm load & if your amp can only go down to a 2ohm load stable then it can distort subs ,clip , overheat ,shutdown AKA serious problems . Best to get a 1ohm stable amp , some can even go 0.5 ohms stable like MMATS but very expen$ive .

Bottom line - u need to think & plan ahead , buy both subs & amp that'll match around the same time to avoid complications . When u researched did u not get to read ppls reviews who actually bought the individuall products , or do u still would like the guys here to reassure u ?

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 25
I think you misunderstood me. I know all about ohms from my past experience with car audio. What I meant was that I would pair the correct subs with the amp I decide to purchase. I don't plan to drop an amp that's only 2 ohm stable to a 1 ohm load. I'll purchase the amp, then decide which subs I need for the correct impedance.

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 101
you should usually buy your subs before you buy an amp IMO
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us