Maximum possible watts (amplifier and subwoofer) for 70 amp Alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 15
what's the maximum power i could install in my car using the stock 70 amp alternator (without / with a capacitor).

(to avoid damage in wires, alternator, battery or sound equipments).

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1328
You have about 28 amperes in your reserve, then (Mulitiply your alternator's output by 40%).

You could probably have an amplifier that adds up to about 600w RMS. (multiply the number of channels by the RMS watts per channel (a 2 channel amp rated at 300 watts RMS per channel would be 600 watts). Double it to account for amplifier inefficiency (600 watts X 2 = 1200 watts), then divide by the average output voltage of an alternator, 13.8 volts (1200 divided by 13.8 = 87 amps). Since the average music signal requires about 1/3rd of the average power in a test tone, divide by 3 (87 amps divided by 3 = 29 amps). The result is the amplifier's approximate average current draw.).

Bronze Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 17
why you haven't include my (possible) subwoofer watts? (or my possible 4 speakers <<frontal>>)?

aren't they gonna pull current?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
You'll have 600w RMS to play with. Distribute them across your subwoofer and speakers however you want using whatever amplifiers you want-just remember exceeding 600w RMS from your amplifiers could cause damage.

Bronze Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 19
ok, last question...
if i (for instance) have 600 rms (just the exact ammount), my alternator is gonna be at his maximum capacity, right? will there be any power to charge the battery? or not? (if any much less)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1335
Ah, that's why I multiplied it by 40% at the beginning-the other 60% is so your car will run properly (which includes charging the battery). :-)

Username: Veedub_soundman

Helensvale, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
Ok, now I've got a really tricky question for you all. I've got a 1972 VW 1600 SuperBug Beetle as my profile says and it has the stock generator on it, yes i said generator. What I was wanting to know is first of all does anybody know wat the amp rating on that is and also what would be the max powered amplifier I could attach to that before I have to start lookin at forkin out some money on an alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 81
Jexx, is 40% the average above and beyond??
so multiply my alts voltage by 40% = x
mutiply my total system rms times 2 (i'm assuming this is supposed to equal max output, right?) then devide by alts running output (apprx 13.8) 1/3 of that = y

y should be less than x??? that gives you your answer??? thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
jexx is a damn genius!! it would take me hours to even write or type out math like that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us