How to "mod an amp?"

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2695
I was just wondering, what does this mean? I have an idea of corse, but how do they do it, and can every amp be modded?

Bronze Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 39
any thing can be modded. take it from me, im a geek with a clear computer. mod = modification. pretty much its really simple. take apart your amp, put LED's, plexiglass, neon, fans, etc until you see fit. the problem with amps is that your gonna void your warrenty by opening the case, and theres a risk of electrical shock involved. the first mod i did was install a plexiglass window in an old gateway i used to have. any amp can be modded, but think a bout it...would you wanna cut a giant hole in the top of your p8002 amp? or how about a 1000/1? i wouldent advise any one to ever slice up a good amp.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2698
Lol, you're right, but how do they make there amps stable at lower ohms than it would normally be able to stand.
I've heard of people modding MTX amps, making them like 0.5 ohms stable, and putting out more power than normal.
Lol, I wouldn't put a window on my amp, because its behind the backseat... you can't see it. It would be pretty cool to show off though... hmmmmm.:-) haha

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 472
never really saw anyone mod it looks wise besides painting...people do make amps stable at lower ohms though

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3375
Glass changed his Orion SX's, I just can't remember what he did. Made them stable bridged at 1 ohm, or something like that...

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 370
yea i saw glass post on how he "tweaked" his amp, im sure you have to be as experienced as he is to do it though

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8880
basically replaced the transistors (FET rails) with higher grade FETs, beefed up the power supply with higher grade or higher capacity components, nothing too complicated on an older solid state technology amplifier. It's a lot easier to do on those than on the newer multi-layer PCboard SMT amplifiers.

as for external mods, I've had amplifiers and signal processorstaken apart and had the casings powdercoated or anodized, then re-silkscreened to put the lettering back on. We used to do that a lot with PPI Art series amplifiers and Audiocontrol processors to match the colors of the gear to the car paint jobs for custom installs.
Aside from that, you can liquid cool an amplifier or add internal fans etc if you really feel the need. It's handy if you want to mount the amps in a location where they can't get good airflow.
You can also flip the amps and remove the bottom panel, replace it with plexi and show off the internals when they're countersunk into fiberglass moldings.. add cold cathode tubes to light em up, yadda yadda.. whatever catches your fancy

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 52
For PC processors, a common mod is to replace the thermal pad between the processor and the heatsink with a high quality thermal paste.

I wonder how good the stuff used in amps is.

Given the small surface areas of the output transistors, I think some type of thermal grease is used. Wonder if there'd be an improvement in heat dissipation with a high quality thermal paste like arctic silver or similar...

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 117
The best mods are for old amps that used low grade Op-Amps in the input section. Op-amps have become really good in the last 10 years(some rival discrete amps). I know Ray @t.i.p.s. upgrades some LinearPower models and with a modern Op-Amp, there sound becomes very clean.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2711
So basically, its like suping up a car.
You just change the parts, with performance parts... right?
Is it really worth it to Modd an amp...
P.S, I do have a RF P8002 amp... if that would make it harder/easier.
Minny thanks. Oh, Glass, do you think you could post a link, or tell more about liquid cooling an amp? My amp is crambed behind a backseat... and it runs on the hot side. I've been wanting to do something about that as well as performance wise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us