Best Bang for Your Buck?

Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 2
I've been out of the car audio loop for about 10 years now. I'm looking to install a modest system in my Toyota 4-Runner. I've been shopping around online for the last 3 days and I'm quite surprised at the low prices available and the number of brands that are unfamiliar to me. Anyway, what brand of amps gives you the best bang for your buck?

One of the amps that caught my eye is a Phoenix Gold Octane-R 15.0:1 Class D Mono amp. It's rated at 1000w X 1 RMS at 2 ohms. Are these honest ratings for this amp? I've seen this amp priced anywhere from $280-$400 online. It's just hard for me to believe this amp is capable of that many watts for such a low price. Back when I was really into this hobby, a true 1000w amp would cost at least twice this price and probably even more. Have the prices just dropped this much in the last 10 years?

What other "cheap" amps would you guys recommend. I'm looking for a strong sub amp to push 2 12s. I haven't decided on my subs yet either, but I'm open to all VC options. I may end up using 2 12s with a single 4 ohm VC to get the 2 ohm load on an amp like this, or I could go with different VC configurations and get a different amp and run 1 ohm or 0.5 ohm load. I'm just looking for suggestions on powerful amps in this price range.

By the way, which brands should I absolutely avoid? I know to stay away from Pyramid, Legacy, new Hifonics, etc. etc. I was actually considering Sony amps and subs before I found this forum. It would help a great deal to know which brands to avoid. There are tons of brands I've never heard of now. MA Audio, Audiobahn, and Audiopile just to name a few.

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 325
Check out this site, it was made by one of the Gold members on here that knows what he's doing.

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 438
the ed-nine.1 puts out 1200 rms (2400 max) for $350 direct from elemental designs.

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 439
also subs that have single voice coils likely won't hold lots of power and there aren't that many anyway because it limits wiring configurations...most will be in dual voice coil...look for dual 2 ohm voice coils for 2 12" subs...wire it in series/parallel to get a 2 ohm load...if you got dual 4 ohm...you get a 1 ohm load...most companies offer both...so choose you amp first and go from there.

TN

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the link, Jack.

It seems that Phoenix Gold depends on the models. Is anyone familiar with the amp I listed earlier?

The cheapest prices I've found online so far are at WoofersEct.com. Are these guys reputable dealers? Just wanna make sure they aren't selling refurbished products as new items.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 329
Which amp is that?

TN

Post Number: 4
Jack,

Phoenix Gold Octane-R 15.0:1

It's rated at 1000w X 1 RMS @ 2 ohms.

WoofersEct.com has it priced at $279.99. A couple other online stores have it priced $350-$400.

TN

Post Number: 5
Jack,

The Phoenix Gold Octane-R 15.0:1. It's rated at 1000w X 1 RMS @ 2 ohms.

It's priced at $279.99 at WoofersEct.com. It ranges $350-$400 at other online stores.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 330
From what I hear, the Phoenix Gold's are not what they used to be, the old school ones were fantastic IMO. The ones I hear more of are Kicker, MTX, The high range gets into Orion and MMATS , Zapco and so on!

Like Ryan said that ED amp has been mentioned alot... Do you have a FINAL price you won't go beyond?

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 332
OH! Also I hear Glass talk about the JBL!

TN

Post Number: 6
I don't really have my budget set in stone, but I'd rather not go beyond $400 for the base amp. I just want a modest system that hits hard. I don't want to end up with $2000 or more in the total system.

Here's what I had 10 years ago:

Sony Head Unit

Hifonics (old-school) Boltar pushing 4 Punch 12s at 2 ohms

Punch 200 pushing 4 Babb 5.25s at 2 ohms

Hifonics (old-school) Cupid pushing 4 Sony Tweeters

Sony XEC-700 X-Over

It hit very hard. I don't expect to have the same bass with only 2 12s, but I figured I'd give an idea of what I was acustomed to back then.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 333
Well you could pick up an Orion, Kicker, Directed, JBL, geez, the list can go on. I would look at that list James, and go looking for a deal. Watch out for some of the newer stuff, as they are made overseas now, and quality is getting to be a thing of the past, but the ones I mentioned are still being mentioned in these threads, and that's what I go by.

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 93
How come everyone talks only good about Elemental Designs if they are on the "questionable" list?

DUB
Unregistered guest
I guess because of the price for the Elemental, that amp is nothing special.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us