Help with amp "CURR" code Alpine MRD-301

Username: Kimteeitup

Wake Forest, NC USA

Post Number: 2
I have had this great amp (Alpine MRD-301) since 11/04 with nop problems! Recently it has began to shut off when you turn the volume up. The digital reading on the amp states "CURR". Any ideas of how to fix this. I have tries everything in the manual.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8757
I'd guess it could be a few things.

the amplifier isn't grounded to bare chassis metal, or the connection is loose, causing poor current flow.

the gains on the amp got nudged and are set too high.

the sub may have problems, and it's causing a low impedance due to a damaged coil, putting the amp into thermal protection mode

fuse may be defective between battery and amplifier, causing lack of current as well

Wake Forest, NC USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the fuse thinking it was blown, but not it. I had it professional installed so hope that it is grounded correctly. I am going to check with the installer on Monday, but of course my son wants it fixed NOW!! Also I like tinkering with electronics. I'll check the gains setting. Thanks again for the info! Any welcome!

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8777
I understand, Kim.. not having the tunes after you're used to them is agonizing.. haha
Be sure to let me/us know what the solution actually was, after you see teh installer.

I'd like to see if I was close, and if not, what it actually was.. to file away in my little fact collecting mind.

Wake Forest, NC USA

Post Number: 5
I sure will. I got out the book and my son and I turned up the gains to +2, +6, & +9 no better, then we turned down the gains to several minus numbers, no solution either. However, we are the blind leading the blind! I'll let you know what our solution is. I know the techs at the install place told me Friday that we may need a "cap". I have been reading mixed messages about the "caps". He does have some dimming of his lights when the sub hits often. They are in a 99.5 VW Jetta, should we worry about the alternator? Would the "cap" help not cause problems for the car in the long run?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8820
capacitors are a gimmick and won't really help.
at best they mask the symptoms without curing the root of the problem.
if lights are dimming, you need a larger alternator.
for a VW, that shouldn't cost tooo much.
ebay may list some, or talk to Nathan at excessiveamperage.com

if the installer tries to sell you a capacitor, don't fall for it. that advice is given to you by an MECP cert'ed master installer, and electrical engineer with 15 years of experience in this field. If he can prove a capacitor will help voltage issues, I'd pay him money to do it.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3750
Capacitors are useful, if used correctly. The only problem is, the marketing people always think of ways to fool newbies. This is why, they use peak powers for the amp, monster cables wires for low powered speakers, "magical" capacitors for all your power problems.
Doesn't 220w sound more impressing than 60w rms? The same thing applies with speaker wires. Some swear that 8 gauge monster cable will make your stereo sound much better instantly. FutureShop (rip off place), has a demo set up. They have a switch with reg 18 gauge ($10) speaker wires vs 8 gauge monster cable ($199). You're allowed to hear a music and compare. The 18 gauge wire, somehow gives distortion and a hissing background sound. When you switch to monster cable, all of the that is gone.
It will sounds very convincing to most consumers, unless you have some background in electronics. Then you know, that setup doesn't make any sense mathematically. There is not enough current/voltage at 10w to warrant that much of improvement. The sad thing is, people are actually buying monster cables based on that fake setup.
They also do the same with capacitors. Since caps store energy and release them at high speed, someone decided it could be the solution to all power problems. As you can see by the cap sales, it's working.
There should be some kind of standard regulations on what marketing crooks can and can not do. Then we'll see less of "miracle" products.

Bronze Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 23
i just installed an mrd-m605 amp in my car. I have an 80 amp alternator and have not experienced any light dimming or anything. that amp you have is known for being extremely efficient and it pulls only 350 watts @ 2ohms. That VW jetta alternator should be able to easily handle that, even stock. Go through all the self checks advised to you, and look at your gain and volume controls, as well as the voice coils on the sub, they may be fried. Once you get it working, if your lights still dim with the beat, try easing up on the volume. I just dont think that the alternator is your problem, if it is you may need a better one, although I believe the stock is 110 amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us