Amp Heat

Bronze Member
Username: Dude2k5

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 12
How hot do amps get. My mp gets hot like to the point where you touch it for 2 seconds and it begins to start hurting you. After an hour this happens and mmy stereo begins to sound weird. I think this might be messing my sound in the car because everyday after a while the sound twithes. But after I play the music the next day it works fine again. The only reason I an think of is the amp

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1219
If the amp isn't shutting off it's probably normal, though you might want to check the gain(s) and whether or not you have it wired to an ohm rating the amp can't handle i.e. it's 4ohm stable in bridged mode and you have subs wired in parallel down to 2 ohms.

Speaking of which, what subs do you have hooked up to it and how are they wired? Plus what is the model number on the amp? You're going to need to be a bit more specific with your equipment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I have volfenhag 12' 1000W peak and sony xplode 600w amp

amp says 500W but mine is 600w
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6254849&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03085&id=1072285993791Upload

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1226
How do you have the voice coils wired? It looks like a DVC and you very easily could have wired it down to 2 ohms. And i'm fairly sure Sony amps can't handle that. What is the model number on the Sony amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
XM-2100GTX

So what can i do

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8745
amplifiers get hot.
sony makes lousy amplifiers though, and they are known for shutting down or failing at low impedances.
yours may be an issue of lack of current. when the sound alters, check voltages and see if you're holding at no less than 12 volts steadily.
if voltage drops below 12VDC, your amp is probably clipping.

check gain settings too.. they may be turned up too high to compensate for a lack of actual amplifier power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
How would I check the gain settings?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8816
refer to gain setting guides on www.bcae1.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums