Amp and subs question

Unregistered guest
im looking at getting a boss ripper D3 to go with 2 audiobahn 121T's. i want to know if this combonation would be effective or would i be wasting my money? also if it would sound nice, what specs should i have it set to? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8716
neither company is going to be recommended by many people.

most will tell you Boss and Audiobahn are overly blinged and chromed out junk, and they'd be right.

you'd be better off saving a little bit more and buying more reliable, better performing audio gear.

home skillet
Unregistered guest
i appreciate your input, do you have any recs. on what brand would be a wise choice? i had read good reviews from multiple websites on my first posting but you obviously know your sh!t. im not looking at a huge budget and they each seemed to be worth the price, but im looking to spend less than 600 bucks and i could get what i previously mentioned for around $450 or so. again thanks for the help

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8722
you want two good twelves and an amp to drive them for under $600 or so, I take it?

for subs, look at Alpine's Type R, Kicker's CompVR, or even RE (reaudio.com) for their SX and SE lines of subs, or Avalanche (no website handy, try google)

once you've chosen the subs you like, then we can find the right amplifier for them

home skillet
Unregistered guest
im feelin the kicker compVRs i think, im tryin to get the highest RMS possible for my budget, i got a weak pioneer 760 amp right now and some cheap 12's in a bandpass box, its deff time for an upgrade. so what kind of amp do u recommend?

WC
Unregistered guest
Hell yea, go with the Kicker VR's

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8736
two CVR12 subs, each with dual 4 ohm coils
slot-vented box (check ebay for "slot vent 12" dual box))
Kicker KX1200.1

that'll give ya 600 watts each at 1 ohm.
if you want to go conservative which will still pount, get the dual 2 oh coil subs instead and run at 2 ohms for 300 watts per sub.
that may even be a better option that way.. a little safer for the subs

home skillet
Unregistered guest
once again thanks for your input. youve been a big help, just a question, i dont plan on getting the boss or audiobahn amp and subs any more, but why do they get such a poor recommendation? the RMS is massive on both and all the reviews ive read have said for them to be reliable. once again i know you know what you are talking about, so i'd appreciate your opinion on them. the ripper D3 seemed awesome and its half the price of the KX1200. would what you recommended sound louder and better?

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 28
Boss,Audiobahn and sony among others seem to inflate alot of their numbers. If you look at some other brands they're actually underating their amps. For example Rockford Fosgates P3001 is stated as 300 watts at 2 ohms but actually put out close to 400 watts

home skillet
Unregistered guest
ok glasswolf ive decided to go with the kicker setup you've recommended, im gonna pay someone to wire this one for me, so how should i get it done to get the max power i can get out of these? once again i appreciate the help.

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 293
wire them down to a 1 ohm load on the amplifier
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us