Avalanche 15" amp: Class D or class A/B?

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 139
I ordered my avalanche 15" and its coming at the end of this month and I'm so excited! My question is since its dual 2 ohm then does that mean i can either use a class D amp and wire my sub to 1 or 4 ohm's or can I use a class A/B 2-channel amp for cleaner bass and wire it to 4 ohms bridged? Which would be the better idea and why? Also my budget for an amp is roughly $350 and under. What are some good amps in my price range that I should look at? Thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8581
for that budget your best bet is a 1 ohm stable mono class D amp.
less current draw per watt, less heat produced/energy lost, most newer class D amps are for subs only so they have the crossover and filters built in, and class D is cheaper per watt.

a hifonics brutus 1500 is 1 ohm stable and puts out a ton of power at 1 ohm. that's about $200 new on-line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Glasswolf, hey man thanks for the response, I know you're probably a pretty busy guy with all the posting you do but thanks for taking the time to answer my question :-) . I know hifonics isnt the best brand out there but do you think it will suffice until the beginning of next year when i can afford a better one? I would rather spend a little more money on my front soundstage right now then just buying a more expensive amp like ARC audio or something.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 592
glasswolf are you ok? you just reccomended "overrated junk" as a lot of people say..but yea that amp will get the job done until you can get a better one...actually for your price range you can find an mtx or jbl amp on ebay that'll work fine also

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 597
ooorrr, tadah: http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&tab=Specs&cur=USD

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
haha, hey thanks guys, all of you...but that ed nine.1 puts out like 1200 watts rms right? The avalanche is only rated to like 800 watts rms isnt it??

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1767
Aaron, thats actually a good thing because you will have some head room to play with even thought the Avalanche 15 is efficiant just dont turn the gain on the amp to hi.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1768
Aaron, thats actually a good thing because you will have some head room to play with even though the Avalanche 15 is efficiant just dont set the gain hi and set it accordingly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
ok thanks for the info and advice guys, i appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us