Hypothetical

Bronze Member
Username: Halby

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 61
This question is really just something I was thinking about the other day so feel free to answer it if you feel like it...if not no big deal.

If you had a good quality DVC sub(you pick the brand) and decided to run a seperate amp to each voice coil, what would the effects be of:

1) Sending unequal amounts of power to each coil, from let's say two good quality but just different sized amps.

2) Using one amp sending clean power and then another amp powering the other coil with poor quality.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 586
i was told that an uneven wattage between 2 voice coils would damage the sub over time

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1160
Yeah, the coils are bound together, if they're moving individually to each other, they'll seperate and damage the sub. You could possibly get away with it if you were using two of the same model amps with the same output(mono) going into the sub, but I don't recommend it.

Bronze Member
Username: Gpz1100

Post Number: 18
In addition to what's already been said, even when hooking it up to the same amp, ideally you want to drive both VC's with the same signal.

My alpine amp puts out the same power to a 2 ohm load as it does to a 4 ohm bridged mode -- that is, 2 x 250 (2 ohm) or 1 x 500 ( 4 ohm).

Given that, by running in bridged mode, you are ensuring both vc's receive exactly the same signal (including phase).

Good question.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8553
one: damaged sub

two: damaged sub

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3700
three: money wasted.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 64
Yea thats what I figured...I am not in that situation, just curious. That's why my friends call me whiskers, b/c I'm curious like a cat.

Bronze Member

Parsippany, NJ

Post Number: 65
Sorry, a little Harry Carrey ala Will Ferrel thrown in there.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8560
harry carrey.. that's like hari kiri, only.. not Romanji, and not japanese..
lol
anyway, different power levels = coils fighting each other. results in fried sub

poor quality equates to clipping, which equals distortion. distortion also fries voice coils.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us