4 Neons to 1 wire?..too much?

Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 6
I was looking at putting 4 neons in the boot and hooking them up to the existing boot light.(disconnecting the original)Is this too much load for just the one wire?

As i understand, neons draw fu(k all current as they work by running a small electric current through the gas inside the tube rather tha relying on heat to create light so I am presuming the 4 neons will draw a simmilar amount of current as the 1 light bulb but not quite sure....

if this isn't suitable what is an alternative?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8520
the thing about neon is that the gas is charged by 120VAC, so you need to convert 12VDC to 120VAC to use it (which is done by a small inverter inside the casing of the neon) same goes for the cold cathode tubes, which I prefer over neon for the better colors and brighter light.

I'd still use a relay myself for that many neon or cathode tubes, and get the actual 12 volt current from a dedicated line off the battery or distribution block.. use 10ga wire for that and you'd be good.

the trunk or boot light is usually a very small wire, and doesn't handle much of any current

true though that neon and cathode tubes don't get that hot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us