Question about amplifiers and my system....

Username: Punkbassist1989

Post Number: 1
ok so i just put in a brand new sound sytem of sony indash player and new speakers in my car. i was wondering if i should put 2, 2-channel amplifiersin-one for front and one for back, or one 4 channel amplifier. now basically it is a matter of if i use 2 amplifiers would i need another battery for the amplifiers because i also will put in another amplifier for 2 subs. thank you and hopefully you can help.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 234
Hey Jon, you'd be good with a 4 channel amp. If you tell us the specs of your new speakers we can advise you on an amp. If you have components up front, you also have the option of Bi-amping them, which means using a 4 channel amp just for the front speakers. Then you can get another 2 channel amp for the back speakers, or, if it were me, I'd just power them with the HU or not even use them. Also, you won't need a second battery. It will do you no good. What you need is a high output alternator if your car starts to show signs of sagging voltage rails.

Post Number: 2
(here are the front speakers)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-6-1-2-Speakers-XSV1630A-/sem/rpsm/oid/86767/ rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

(here are the back)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-6-x-9-Speakers-XSV6930A-/sem/rpsm/oid/86768/ rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

thank you any help would be great. maybe even some amplifier recomendations i want all the power out of my speakers and i dont want to blow a hole in my pocket. thanks and again any help would be great.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8487
4 channel amp for fronts/rears
mono class D amp for subs

Post Number: 3
any recomendations for amps..im just getting into this stuff and dont know about it yet. so any recomendations would help. i would like to get all the power i can out of my speakers but dont want to spend more than 600 for the amps

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8499
Kicker
kx600.4 and kx600.1

Post Number: 4
what are you peoples thoughts on the sony xplod amplifiers good, bad, reasonable for price because im looking to hook up 2 sony 12" subs and thought maybe a whole sony system so what r your thoghts on that

Post Number: 9
Anybody know any places like wholesale where i can buy ams and subs for cheap

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 538
Well.... Sony amps are complete junk. Stay away if you haven't already bought it. I personally wouldn't use anything made by Sony for car audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
well then what r ur recomendations for amps and or subs that are reasonably priced i dont want to spend more than 300 dollars for 1 amplifier

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8505
sony everything for car audio is crap, as far as current products go.

look at JBL for amplifiers that are good and affordable.
look at Kicker CompVR subs

Username: Ghowards

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 3
hey I just started getting interested in sound systems and im kinda dumb at it so I appreciate any help and your patience. I am looking at buying 4 rockford fosgate 12'' stage 2 subs which run at 200rms and 400 peak will I be able to power them with a 1200 watt rockford fosgate 4 channel amp? I greatly appreciate any advise or feedback you guys have. Thanks

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 235
garett, unless you have an electrical system than can handle the draw of a A/B 4 channel amp like the one you mentioned, you're better of with a Class D mono amp. It'll draw 20-30% less amperage for the amount of power it produces.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8524
if you want 4 subs, use a class D mono amp. not a 4 channel.
it'll draw less current that way as noted above.
get 2 ohm SVC subs, or 4 ohm DVC subs (same end result) if you want four subs on a 2 ohm stable mono amp @ 2 ohms final load.

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 5
k like I said im pretty new so I do appreciate your help. They guy I bought it from said if I bridge it at 2 ohms I can get 2300 watts I dont know if that matters. Second thing is if my electrical system cant handle it, would a HO alternator be an option? what are some examples of a class D mono amp. The thing is I wasnt thinking real hard and already bought the amp, so what combination of subs would produce the best result? thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8629
give me the make and model of the amplifier.
I'll tell you how much power it really has and what it can run.

you want four twelves?

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 6
which combination would be louder? four subs with the mono amp or four subs with a different combination. I have a pretty high budget so lemme know. Thanks

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 7
the amp is a rockford fosgate punch p4004 1200 watt amp. I would like to get four twelves unless you dont think its worth it. Also I saw earlier you told jon stanton to use a 4 channel amp for his front and rear speakers. I am also planning on replacing my front and rear speakers so should I use that amp for the front and back and get a mono class D amp for the subs?

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 8
here is what the actual amp is

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/83/9c/39_0.JPG

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 9
http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/83/9c/39_12_sb.JPG

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8637
use a 4 channel for components and a mono amp for subs.
yes

Sonnyboi
Unregistered guest
i just bought 2 Kicker Solox 12's and i have a custom box. what type of amplifiers should i use and how many should i run to each sub?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8689
if you have a pair of dual 4 ohm coil subs, the Kicker SX1250.1 or KX1200.1 would be ideal

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8690
oh you said Solo X
I was thinking L7

what's the coil config on each sub?

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 10
ok so if I do four 12's how big of a mono sub would I need or am i better of just doing two 12 inch subs and if I am how big of an amp should I use and also do you have any reccomendations for brands. Since I already have a rockford amp should I keep the same company or doesnt it really matter to mix and match

Bronze Member

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 11
The four 12's I am looking at are these:

Punch STAGE 2
4 ohm 8" Component Subwoofer
molded polypropylene woofer cone
60 oz magnet
frequency response 20-200 Hz
power range 50-150 watts RMS
sensitivity 83 dB
top-mount depth 3-13/16"
sealed box volume 0.25 cubic feet
ported box volume 0.65 cubic feet

what would I need to power those?
http://www.mmxpress.com/rock_subs.htm

Bronze Member

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 12
I know you guys are getting sick of me but I really appreciate it. Can I run four 12's with one mono sub or would I need like two 300x1 amps?

Bronze Member

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 16
what would I need to power four of these?

Punch STAGE 2
4 ohm 12" Component Subwoofer
molded polypropylene woofer cone
60 oz magnet frequency response 20-200 Hz
power range 50-200 watts RMS
sensitivity 86 dB top-mount depth 6.1"
sealed box volume 0.85 cubic feet
ported box volume 1.25 cubic feet

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 299
Garett...I answered that question on the other tread where you asked the exact same question...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151096.html

Does that ring a bell?

Bronze Member

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 19
hey guys, class told me to get 4ohm DVC and get a 2 ohm stable amp, but steve told me that my wiring options are 1 ohm or 4 ohm and I was just wondering which one to do so I can get the right amp. Also does anyone have a link to the thread where glass explains how to figure out different wattage for different ohms and such?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8763
Garett, www.bcae1.com has sections for computing load for amplifiers based on the speaker impedances.

it teaches you everything you need to know.. just take about a day to read the site.. you'll be amazed how much you learn there
I know the author of that site, and he's done a terrific job of building the best site I know for learning all the basics of car audio and electronics.

Bronze Member

Clark, SD USA

Post Number: 20
thanx glass I think that site is exactly what I needed

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8831
it's one of my favorites :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums