More problems

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 15
I just installed an amp the other day to run four speakers in my 02 civic coupe. I ran the rca and speaker wires down the driver side and the power down the passenger side. I grounded the amp at one of the seatbelt bolts in the rear. I sanded the spot to bare metal. I have two problems. The first is a buzzing sound when the HU and amp are on. It doesn't change volume with the volume control, it remains a constant pitch and volume. Is this due to some interference? or is it some setting on the amp that is off?

My second problem is some power dips. At first I thought they were caused by a bad ground connection, but I redid that to a different spot and they still happen. It seems like they only happen when I'm driving at lower rpm. On the highway I didn't experience any dips, but when I got off and let the car idle, the volume would dip and come back when I revved the engine. Is this due to the battery/alternator? I was pretty sure that the car could handle the powerload of the new speakers I put in.

I have Alpine 6.5 inch R components up front and 6x9 R speakers in the rear. I'm using a profile california 740AP amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 19
I' suggest to run power and speaker wires togehter on one site,
rca s on the other or even better through the middle.
Check that HU doesn't have contact to metall in its place.
Make sure your amp has no contact to a metall surface, it might pick up ground thru its chassis.
Does the buzzing sound get higher when rpm goes up?

Do you know where the cars power leads are placed?

Second prob:
no idea, sorry

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 16
I think that I'll get better rca's that are shielded. The buzzing stays the same even at higher rpm.

But the power dipping really worries me, because it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Does anyone know how much a higher output alternator that would fit my car would cost? Thanks for the help Dirk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us