(I'm going to need a lot of power.....

Username: Buffguy1184

Post Number: 1
So I tossed away my two cvr12 kickers and went a little nuts and bought two S15L7 Solobarick Kickers. If I am correct that's about 4000watts (2000watts rms)? Im a little new to all this. So how many amps would I need for that. Do I want 1 4000watt amp? I am having trouble finding a 2000watt amp let alone a 4000watt. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8401
the S12L7 is 750wRMS. I doubt the S15L7 is 2Kw RMS. that'd be a peak rating.

I'd have kept the CVRs myself or gone to fifteen inch CVRs.

you'll want about 800 watts each for those L7s.
figure a 1500 watt amp or so is good, like the hifonics brutus.
it's about equal to the price/performance of teh solobarics

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 801
i *think* 15L7's are 1000wrms each.

so something along to lines of an orion 2500d or a crossfire 2000d would work pretty well. But i'm like glasswolf...i figure 1500wrms (750rms per sub) would be plenty, so the hifonics is definnitly in the list for an amp in your case.

i have a friend running 2 L715's on the orion 2500d...he seems to like it.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8406
remember, the power handling ratings of speakers are thermal ratings only.
they have nothing to do with the amount of power the speakers actually need to reach peak output, which is usually considerably less than they can "handle."

an "800 watt speaker" doesn't need 800 wats to reach full output. It may only need 300.
800 watts is how much heat, in watts, the coils can handle in an AC wave form without clipping, without burning up the coils.

Bronze Member
Username: Blitzedeclipse

Post Number: 46
Yeah Tom, you definitely do not want to put 2000 watts into a L7, trust me, I had 800 going to it max, and the thing looked like it was about to pop out of the box, plus it's square, uneven distributing of power, and they are known to blow often. 1000 watts would be fine, or maybe anything a little bit more, but dont over push it.

Username: Buffguy1184

Post Number: 2
Glasswolf - One S15L7 is indeed 2000watts (1000watts rms. I did a lot of research on these subs, and it was a toss up between this and rockford fostgate. I think I made the right choice and once I get an amp setup, i'll know for sure.

Everyone else- Can someone suggest brand and model number amp to look for? So 1000watts is max that should be pushed into it?

Thanks for all the comments

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8425
1000 watts RMS.
that's all that matters, right there.
peak power handling is meaningless. That's a momentary rating that tells you how much power the coils can handle without melting in a burst.
continuous power handling (1Kw) is what the sub's coils can handle thermally for extended periods.. for example when you're listening to music.
You didn't do enough research I guess. I've been doing this for a long time. I have a pretty good understanding of how the numbers work for this stuff.

anyway if you like the L7s thats fine. I hope they last for you. A lot of people end up blowing them even under proper use.
If you want to find a good amp, its going to depend on the load presented by the subs. dual 2 or dual 4 ohm coils, and how many subs per amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us