Infinity 7540a Amps Run Hot?

Username: Betard

Post Number: 1
I just purchased 2 Infinity REF7540A amps (4 channels) and I installed one so far to run my 2 component sets (Infinity 6000CS 6.5" 4ohm) Off my Pioneer DEH-P8400MP headunit using only the RCA outs to the amps.

The amp specs are:
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
4-ohm stable in bridged mode
111 watts RMSx 4 at 4 ohms(CEA-2006 Compliant
139 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
278 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode

So I installed the first one like I mentioned to run my front and rear component sets and I noticed after a 1/2 hour or so the amp gets almost 2 hot to touch for more then a few seconds at a time.

I only have the gains on the amp at about 1/4 of the way up and the channels are set to "stereo" with the (on amp) crossovers set to "flat". The volume on the headunit is only up about half way.
(vol set at 30 out of 60)

Can anyone think of a reason why this amp would get so hot?? Its not going into protect mode or clipping as far as I can tell, and the other amp I bought to run my 2 12" subs in 4ohm stereo. But if the amp is heating up this much on the component sets I am worried about what the other amp will be like pushing the subs.

Don't know if its just the way they are and maybe I can install some fans to help cooling or if I have a wiring issue or defective amp??

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Extra set-up/install info:
-power wire running along one side of vehicle
-fuse at battery & before amps
-Cap before fuses at rear
-I get under 13v when car is off at Cap/Amp
-I get under 15v when car is idling at Cap/Amp
-I get under 5ohms off the speaker wires going to each crossover/speakers in the doors.
-Crossovers in doors may be set to +3db(if that matters)
-3 RCA out from deck to rear of car (front/rear/sub)

I think that sums it up. Sorry this is so long, but I figured if I want the best answers I should provide as much info as I can.

Post Number: 2
also I tried Radio Shack(now the Source) and futureshop. Anyone in Canada know where to get mini Right angle RCA adapters? Even some online store in Canada would be great. Something like this pic.

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Big_lou

Post Number: 40
Hello, I too have an infinity 7540a running a jl 3w and let me tell you this baby does get hot! My gain is set to match hu. It sits in the back of my s10 on the floor and it gets too hot to even touch but it doesnt shut off. I usually just roll the windows down to get some air flowing back their and all is good.

Post Number: 3
It seems that infinity amps are still pretty new to the market, so maybe they just dont have their crap together really yet... I dont have alot of expirience with car audio, but I've had mtx and alpine amps in the past that didn't get this hot, so naturally I was a little concerned that maybe I had some bad wiring or a defective unit. NOTHING is worse then having something blow just after the warranty expires.

Thanks for replying, atleast I know that its not "uncommon" for them to get this hot. Maybe I'll install a couple of fans in my amprack, especially since I have 2 of these bad boys.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Infinity has had amps on the market for a while now. I have had this one close to 7 months with probably only 2 months of time on it. Im happy with it just gets a little warm.

Post Number: 4
I just meant new as in the past couple years... where as companies like MTX or alpine have been doing it MUCH longer... so maybe they figured out some better ways to deal with heat distribution (or not heating up that much in the first place).

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 658
How are your grounds? Less than 24", and connected to bare sanded metal? Thats the only thing I could think of.

Adding fans to an amp has never hurt it in my experience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
My ground is less than 2 ft and connected to bare metal

Post Number: 5
And mine as well... put a steel brush drill bit on my drill(obviously) and took it right down to the metal... no engine noise or anything like that (typical bad ground signs).

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 662
Well if it performs fine, but gets hot I would just add a fan.

Stinger makes a pretty good fan, little pricey but it should do nicely for an amp rack. http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISF3

Post Number: 6
Yeah that fan looks like exactly what I need... just dont think I have the room (my amp rack is mounted on the back of my VW Jetta seat... not alot of room especially with the width of those amps. Maybe I'll just put in 4 2" computer type fans. 2 on each side to suck air in one side and blow it out the other... Now I just need to find those stupid right angle RCA adapters, you would think Futureshop/Bestbuy or Radio Shack (the Source) would have such a thing....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us