A Little Install Help.

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 12
Hey guys, I just got my amp today, but I have some questions about how to set it up before I install it. I've heard that I should connect the ground wire to a bolt that goes into the chassis, but the instruction manual that came with the amp shows a diagram that connects it to the battery ground. Is that necessary or is a seatbelt bolt, or some such thing fine?

Also, for the gain control, I've heard that I should set the HU volume to max and then adjust gain till it distorts and leave it there. Also, when I do that I should turn off HU bass boost.. does that mean the bass control? or if it has a seperate bass boost setting? Thanks for all your help guys!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8324
first, bolt the ground to bare metal. sand the paint away and screw down a solid ground point within 24" of the amplifier.

second, read the guides on www.bcae1.com for gain setting
www.jlaudio.com has a guide as well, under tutorials

Bronze Member
Username: Carleton

Post Number: 13
Why do I have to cut the ground wire shorter than 24"? How can a longer ground wire make any difference? The reason I ask, is that the place where I want the amp to be in my trunk is further than 2 feet from where I can bolt in the ground wire.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1448
Just make it as short as possible. 24 inches isn't a "magic" number, just a good guideline.

You can always up the size of the wire. 4 guage has 2.5 times less resistance per foot as 8 and 1/0 has 2.5 times less resistance than 4. In other words 5 feet of 4 gauge is equivalent to 24" of 8 and and 5 feet of 1/0 equivalent to 24" of 4. From here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

Personally I think its a lot more important to make sure you have a really good ground point by sanding away the paint like Glass said.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us