Help with Gain

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 304
i've done my research and now know a little bit more about gains, but am still unsure where to set mine, it said (on the website i did my research on) and it said that you set your amp gains accordingly to your HU voltage, is this true?

is there any website that i can just punch some #'s into to figure out where to set my gains at

thanks, im sure this Q gets brought up alot, thats why i tried to get the answer myself but couldn't figure it out

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 501
Mike, set your HU to flat, meaning no bass boost. Make sure your bass boost on your amp is all the way off and turn your HU to %75 volume. Then turn your gain up until you hear your subs distort. Then turn it down a little until they aren't distorting anymore. That is the best way to set your gain without special equipment such as an osciliscope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
okay thanks, is there a special song/ or test CD that i can use to help me out, or will a regular song(with alot of bass) such as lil jon or somthing do it

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
o and BTW, since im setting it accordingly to 75% of my HU power, i shouldn't turn the volume up past 75% correct?? the website i did my research on said most HU start to clip/distort anywhere from 80-95%

is that a true fact?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 503
You can test it with just about any song that has some good bass really, it doesn't make a big difference. Lil Jon would probably be a good choice. Yes, most HU will start to clip in that range, so just keep it to 75% while setting the gain.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8299
www.bcae1.com
that site has several guides on how to set gain properly. several ways to do it depending on the equipment you have on hand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
thanks glass, that was actually the site that i found all that research on, it was just a little confusing so i came here to see if you could help out, and i get it now

thanks guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us