Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 1
Here is my deal:

The current setup in my car consists of the following:
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP
Infinity Kappas
JL 500/1 amp
JL 10w6v2 sub

Now I am perfectly happy with my system as it is now, but I am getting a new car, and it has been agreed that my younger brother who is getting my current car as a hand me down, gets the current system that is in it (lucky jerk doesn't have to pay a cent). Now for my new car, I would obviously like to at least maintain the quality of my current system, if not upgrade it.

A friend of mine has offered to sell me 2 8w7's with an enclosure for $400 (a steal i think). Now here are my questions:

Will I be able to get away with powering 2 8w7's with 1 JL 500/1 amp? The JL website suggests a 250/1 for 1 8w7, but I imagine the numbers might now work for the 500/1 powering 2 subs.

If I do use this new setup, 1 500/1, 2 8w7's, will there be a significant drop off in the low frequency sounds? I have a friend with 1 8w7 and a 250/1, and I like the way it sounds, just maybe a bit too subtle at some points. Keep in mind that I like tighter bass as opposed to the sloppier kind, and I don't listen to much rap at all, mostly heavy metal (double bass drums), classic rock, etc. I am *hoping* that the 2 8's can do the job.

If the answer to either of these questions is that the sound will be inferior to my current setup, do I opt for 2 8w7's and shell the extra $ for a 1000/1, or do i go for a 10w7 or 12w7 with a 500/1 (enough power?).

Keep in mind that I'm still a student, and on a limited budget. My goal here is to get the best I can, but this is nearing the limit of my price range. I have read some great posts on these forums, and most people seem pretty knowledgeable, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 499
I would go for the 8w7's. Number 1, that is a steal. Number 2, your 500/1 will work perfectly with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us