How do the RCA Cables with Built in Turn On leads work?

Username: Brownnugen

Post Number: 4
I ordered a 4 Channel Amp Installation Kit http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK44 from Knukonceptz recently. I have not yet received it but already have a question about hooking everything up. If the rca's have the built in turn on lead, do I need to hook anything up to the "remote out" wire from the head unit's wiring harness? Also, I'm installing 2 amps, but only bought one amp install kit. Since the 4 channel amp kit will have 2 sets of rca's with the built in turn on lead, if I used one of them for my 4 channel amp and the other for my sub amp, will that work? I bought a regular set of RCA's that don't have built in turn on leads (to use as the 2nd set for the 4 channel amp, so I have 3 pairs of RCA cables total. Are there any complications to this? Sorry if these questions are a little confusing. Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8243
first, you'll figure out the remote wire when you see it
second, you're going to need power cable and grounds large enough for the current of both amplifiers, and you'll need a distribution block to run two amps from one wiring kit

Username: Brownnugen

Post Number: 5
I guess my question was badly worded. I've got the power and ground figured out (I think). I have a distribution block and a grounding block to handle that part. I'm just trying to figure out how the RCA (with built in turn on leads) works. Does it have a little extra wire that hangs off the RCA? Will this all be very obvious when I get the amp install kit in my hands? I do see the remote wire on the HU wiring harness.

My other question was; can I used 1 of the 2 RCA (with built in turn on leads) for the 4 channel amp (plus one regular RCA) and the other RCA for the subwoofer amp? That way, I don't have to run a small wire from one amp's turn on wire to the other amp? I'm just trying to make the install as simple and clean as possible.

This is my first attempt at installing anything car audio related. Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8260
yes and yes. between the two RCA lines there'll be a small wire used for the remote trigger, as you said. also yes it'll be obvious.

aha ok sure yeah use one trigger for each amp. that works fine. if you need more than about 3 devices triggered by the remote wire though, use a relay to avoid drawing too much current and damaging the head unit. up to three amps/processors is fine though as a general rule of thumb.

I misunderstood the first post. my bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us