Remote power with factory stereo

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a sub and amp for my car and am saving up for a really nice deck. I would like to install the sub and amp with the factory stereo for now until I can get the new deck. Everything is wired and in place except for the remote power, my factory radio doesn't have a remote power wire, or a power attenna. So my question is: how do I get that amp to turn on and off when my radio turns on and off??? any help would be very helpfull. Thanks!!!

-Dan

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 193
Hook it up to any 12volt source that turns on when you are in accesories, or start.

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Jack- thanks a bunch for the help... So I should just splice the wire for whatever accesory works best? That won't blow a fuse or cause any damage to the accesory and/or the amp?

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Can I just use the 12v power supply for the radio itself?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3597
No. That wire will always have power so your amp will never turn off.
Instead, try your cig lighter plug. That will power on when the car is in acc or ignition.
The remote on the amp needs a very low current to switch on. It has to be pos voltage. So borrow one from the cig lighter plub.

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Isaac- thanks I won't use that power supply, but one other question- My cig lighter plug works even when the car is off, does that make a difference??? It seems to me that if I used that, the amp would stay on all the time, or is that not the case?

Thanks,
-Dan

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 195
If Isaac doesn't make it back, you can wire that to 12volts that turns on with the switch. My lighter is the same way, it's always on, so I don't think you want to use that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3601
Oh really? How old are your cars? Mine shuts down with the engine. Nothing works unless you turn the keys to acc.
Your other alternative is to find the ignition wire under the fuse box. It should be white in colour. Tap into that and hook it up to the amp's remote terminal.
If that's too hard, then look for anything in the car that turns off with the engine. All it needs is a pos wire from any device controlled by the ignition key.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 197
Mines a 90 caddy

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
I took a look at my car, the only accersories that work when the key is in "acc" are the windows and the radio. I don't think I can use the windows because:

(1) They are on a timer and still work for ten mins after the car turns off.
(2) If I'm not mistaken the amp would only be on when I'm rolling a window up or down.

So I think I have to use the radio. Isaac said the radio's power supply is always on, so I can't use that, what should I use instead?

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 200
If you have an ohm meter you can check your fuse block and see what comes on with the key, that is the way I use to do things back in the day LOL, but if you get 12v when you turn the key to acc, and back off again with key, put it there, it take such little juice to turn on the amp!

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
The car is a 95 Ford explorer. If the radio power is always on, how does the radio know when the car is on or off??? Is there a wire that the voltage turns on and off with the car that goes to the radio that I could use?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3604
That is the ignition wire Dan. Every audio/devices use the that as a trigger. To find it, you will have to look at the fuse box in the driver's side.
Another thing you can do is, purchase a relay from Radio Shack for $5 and use it to turn on the amp. All the relay needs anything that gets power when the car is running.
Just observe the gadgets in the car. You will find something that can be used.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 202
Ok, on my Caddy, at first I hooked up my remote wire to the (red) power lead comming into my radio. The thing is that my power stays on until I open the door, otherwise it will keep playing. So if you have a similiar kind, I don't see why you couldn't use it, BUT, it will also have a wire for memory, you don't want that one because it's always hot~

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Ok so what I will do when I get home from work is pull the head unit and get out my multi-meter and play around until I find a wire that goes on and off with the ignition and I will use that wire. But do I really need a relay? Can't I just tap the wire? And B.T.W. thanks to both of you for all your help!!!

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 204
I didn't use a relay, I just spliced it in until I got my new HU. Good luck

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Alright then thats what I will do, thanks again guys!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Shadow1290

Post Number: 20
all you have to do is wire it up to a 9-volt battery

it's a remote power - even from the head unit the electricial signal is very weak a simple 9-volt battey grounded to the chassis of the car with an on/off switch mounted in a convient location (for mine i used a kick a** pilot toggle switch cover)an remember to turn it off after you turn off the car

the switches make your car look like a bad audio machine when you get in your car with your friend and flip up the covers and turn on that kick a** amp

Dan_in_CA
Unregistered guest
Found a wire coming out of the back of the radio that turns on and off with with the radio, hooked it up and it works perfectly now. I put a switch in (sorry Josh I did that b4 you suggested it, but good idea) because I like to be able to play the music without the loud a** subs when I feel like it. (Or when the girlfriend/co-workers/family are in the car) Thanks for all your help guys.

Username: Dhouser

Post Number: 2
hook it up to your cig lighter, and to a switch you can turn your amp on and off

Bronze Member
Username: Shadow1290

Post Number: 44
just put a switch in the remote line where ever is convient so you can turn it off
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us