Hitting 148.5 dB on a BUDGET. Sounds great, too. (Tested my setup today)

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 34
This is my setup.

0 Gauge Wire ($8 a foot retail) - 16 feet.
200 Amp Circuit Breaker ($30 retail)
200 Amp Alternator ($275 for my 99 Firebird)
(Thanks Nathan - excessive ampreage)
Optima Battery (Retail - $160)
Dual 12" subs - Bandpass box ($150 - Best Buy)
((Model: XNBP12D) )
Dual 12" subs - Bandpass box ($150)
Dual 12" subs - Bandpass box ($150)
Hifonics brutus 1605D amp (under $300)
Pioneer REV Series 6.5" ($289 retail for 4)
Power Acoustik Gothic 4way amp (Under $150)

Then just misc. wires, connectors etc, probably around $100 total.

This setup hit 148.5 dB today in my 1999 Pontiac Firebird. I removed the back seats to make room, and have six 12" subs, (each pair is set to one 4 ohm output), I wired them all parallel, to a 1.34 ohm load).

Will post some pics a bit later.

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 299
those duals sound good?, im not going to argue it all depends on what type of vehicle your in to tell how they're going to sound, but i have 2 friends who bought those subs and well, lets just say they get made fun of,

Im really impressed they hit 148.5 decibals, i think when i get a little older/and get more money i'll make an all out spl set up kind of like yours, it sounds cool, now all you need is a sweet install

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
What kind of amp are they running? I'm not talking the normal dual speakers, I'm talking the 12" dual's in the pre-loaded bandpass box.. (they had an older version of these 12's, too, but I'd go through a set of those in about 2 weeks..the newer model is much sturdier).

I'll go take a couple pictures soon as it's light out again...(tried to get a good shot of the subs setup, but even with flash the pics sucked. Here's one pic that came out good, tho.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8206
you can get 1/0ga cable for about $3.50/foot, just FYI.
$8/ft is crazy steep.

I'm not surprised you hit 148 with six twelves, but I've never been a fan of bandpass enclosures.
what are you using for rear fill or front stage?
Is this just 6 12" subs and factory door speakers?

I don't mean to put down your idea, I'm glad it worked for ya, but for the same amount you spent, in an F body, you could have hit 148 using a pair of good 12" subs from a better company with that much power, and only lost the drop section of the trunk for space.. still had back seats, and a totally stealth install.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
GlassWolf, no offense taken. Personally, I'm not on a strict budget atm.. Was just posting a fairly cheap setup for those who are. I'm actually ordering a box from subthump.com, as soon as I figure out a nice type of sub (three 10's or two 12's), that can be tuned in a ported box to a similar frequency as my dual's..

And about the 0 gauge..the cheapest I've seen in my area (retail, that is) is actually about $6.50 a foot, but I opted for the type you can see in the picture, because it's *extremely* maliable, it's crazy compared to the normal stuff how much softer and more workable it is..

Also, just curious, what 12's do you suggest could hit 148, cleanly, for under $450 for two + a custom hatch box for a firebird..? All my dual's are still under best buys 30 day return, after all. heh heh. ;)

Bronze Member
Username: Vaio

Post Number: 78
How do you test your db i got 4 12" seth lowe get more pics.

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 55
I wanna see pix of the subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Ok.. I'm going to go take some pics and a short movie..anyone know where I can upload a short movie file? :-)

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 904
XPLOD call or go to some local car audio stores, to see if they have a meter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Ok here are some pics.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
More pics.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

So anyone know where I can upload a 14mb video file? Or anyone that can host it for me? It's a video of me turning the system on, taping several things in the car shaking violently, walking up a ramp to my house, and shows athletic equipment rattling like crazy, a bow on the wall shaking, then go to the living room and shows (with audio of course) computer speakers about to fall over they're shaking so hard.. Heh. (To the theme song of "Whistle While you Twurk!" Not the best bass song for sure, but, my neighbors already hate me enough so I'm not gonna do anything to really piss them off at 10am).

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 496
Seth Lowe, go to www.realmofexcursion.com and go to the video section and there should be a spot that says "submit your vid". You will probably have to download a FTP program(that they give a link to). You will figure it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Uploaded it...still not available yet, though. :-)

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8223
pretty car.
ahh the things I could do to the motor in that baby haha I set up a friend's 94 anniv. edition TA. that was a nice car too. lots of fun to drive. I used to borrow it a lot haha

two twelves, or two fifteens.. you could do it with ported alpine type Rs. I've seen close to that score done with a single 12" type R by an SPL guy in fact. He was in the 140s with just the one sub which was terrific.
RE's SX model subs would do the job as well as DD's 95xx series subs.

I don't have the prices on the DD's but pretty sure the type R and SX can be had in that ballpark.

you're most likely losing some SPL in your car now because you have three separate boxes in the back and you're getting cencellation. This is an example of where less may be more for you. Fewer subs in a simpler enclosure design that uses the shape of that car's rear hatch to amplify your gain from a pair of good subs would yield better results on a mic at the dash.

food for thought

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3181
Seth, where'd you get the 200 amp circuit breaker for 30 bucks from? I need a 150 amp one...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Glasswolf, curious, using the amp I have (the brutus 1605), what do you think would produce the most SPL for around $900? And about what you mentioned about cancellation, I did wonder about this, but I will definately say that the three setup like they are, is for sure much louder than just two were, firing up, one along each side of the car (with the back seat folded down). Tried both ports facing out, and ports facing in, etc... Neither really compared.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Nevada car audio is where I got the circuit breaker and the 0 gauge.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8225
well what's also holding you back are those ultra low end subs.. DUAL used to be Jensen. These aren't really high output subs. Most of the SPL you are getting is a product of the bandpass enclosures.

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 86
Seth,love your car man, newer camaro/firebirds are the sh!t oh and the stereos nice too lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
GlassWolf, these subs, given 400 watts or so RMS, actually hit I'd say better than the audiobahn subs I had (at 2x the cost) pre-loaded in a bandpass enclosure.. (the one sold at circuit city).

Their rated sensitivity is 93..and since the newer model came out, I havnt had much problems with them.. (the older model that these replaced, I went through literally like weekly).

If Dual used to be Jensen, and Jensen is owned by Audiovox, then isnt that a good thing, seeming as Audiovox owns JL? heh heh.

And JC, thanks...did all the work myself. It started out as all white...did the lights, gas cap, molding, etc myself in black.Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8242
jensen, dual, and audiovox have never been high end.. nor has audioblah. while it's cool you've had good luck with them, I am glad you got rid of the audiobahn stuff too hehe

where did you hear JL was owned by Audiovox?

Bronze Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 87
Seth, is that a V8 bird ? you done anything under the hood ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Only thing I've done under the hood, is a new battery, big 3, & alternator.

Bronze Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 99
anyways man dope car

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 378
Glasswolf: I know you'll probably kick me for this, but I'm thinking about getting a 96' 3000GT. Pretty slick car, I need something that gets good gas mileage, but is decently sporty. :P

Seth: I'm glad you had success with the install. But like Glass said, two good subs would do the same, if not better. I need to get my system metered and see where it's at...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8247
the 3000GT is a nice car.. mits just seems to have issues with reliability and longevity on their cars.. they seem to drop like a rock in value once ya buy em and get em home. The new eclipse is pretty too, but we'll see how the reviews turn out on them after some time with the new body.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Yea, I know about their reliability issues. Kinda hesitant, but they're pretty slick cars. Dunno, probably won't buy it. Also, I think Eclipses are g@y as hell, everyone has one, and honestly, I've never liked the body style at all.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 169
I GOT AN ECLIPSE :-( IT'S NOT G@Y :-( IT'S DIFFICULT TO MAKE THIS CAR HIT BIG NUMBERS BUT I HIT A 144,6 WITH A 15...

Silver Member

Post Number: 394
Dude, you didn't get what I was saying. I'm talking about the car, the Mitubishi Eclipse. Jesus christ...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8281
well, he does type in all caps after all :-)

have you seen the 05 eclipse? new body design.

Silver Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 173
I Have a mitsubishi eclipse....that's what i was sayin :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 513
lol nice one jake

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Well, why don't you type like a normal person does? People like me and Glasswolf read it once, and give a response, we don't have time to decypher your typing. And yea, I've seen the new body design on the internet, but no offense, I think all of their designs are g@y. Just me I guess... Seems to me the car is highly overrated, and there's too many of them...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8296
I like the styling a bit.. but yeah not reliable, not that fast, and overly plentiful.. but they're cheap and sporty looking so they're popular as a first car for kids these days. and with the help of movies like 2f2f, it's big with the ricer crowd. I think it'd make a nice grocery getter, but I wouldn't race one.

Silver Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 175
how come u cant read what im writin? they teach it at school how to write with caps....but anyway im not gonna be polemic just for this....

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8342
I can read what you're typing, ABfan, but typing in all caps on internet forums is considered the same as yelling at someone in person. It's considered rude, and it is more difficult to read, as it causes more eye strain. If you'll notice, books printed for reading levels beyond that of the 2nd grade, are generally not printed in all caps. :-)
It's just more polite to type normally, using lower case, with capital letters where appropriate.

thanks for understanding

Silver Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 178
Ok that's a good answer. Thanks. I'll try my best to lose this habit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us