Glass.. Alt to Bat inline switch Qstn

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 468
hey glass im sure this is possible.. say i had 2 yellow tops in the back hooked up in parrallel running my subs.. if i had a stretch of hvy wire comming from the alternator through the car with switch on it or would this cause problems?,could i have it so when i drain the batteries that i could turn the switch on and have the alternator charge the batteries? or that sound like a dumb idea.. prolly need a massive switch

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8148
use a battery isolator, bro.
easiest way to do it.
the isolator will recharge both the audio batteries and the starter battery when the car is running, but only the audio batteriers power the stereo and only the starter battery starts teh car, in effect isolating them from each other.

the switch would be a pain because of the amount of current it'd have to be able to handle.
a bit dangerous too

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 472
but then the alternator would have to handle the load of the amp.. i was trying to get out of buying a bigger alternator.. i got a 130 amp now but im upgrading to 2 type X's so il be drawin around 200 amps

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8159
you can probably fine an isolator that allows you to switch off the alternator feed to recharge with a switch at the dash.. that sounds like something someone makes.

the problem you'll have is the batteries will discharge and voltage rails will sag.. without the alternator to keep the current and voltage stable, you're going to get clipping which can damage the speakers. The batteries on that isoltor will help keep the voltage stable even with the isolator functioning without a switch.. at least until the batteries get depleted and the alternator also can't keep up

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 476
yeh sounds like a big pita .. i guess il have to go for the bigger alternator.. biggest one ive been able to find though is 200 amps

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8160
200A should supply plenty of current for most applications.. you may find that will serve your needs just fine.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 489
alright glass.. i was conteplating running 2 130 amp alternators but there might be problems there...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8205
if anything run the 130A for the car and the 200A for the audio system as a dedicated alternator
then you'd have a full 200A for just the audio system, and no need to balance the voltages from two alternators together.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3582
Just how are you going to install 2 alternators in your car? Do you have the space? Most cars nowdays have very little room to spare under the hood.
This is why I like my old 86 Mustang. You can hide a dog under the hood. Plenty of space to upgrade/replace anything. Even the battery compartment is 2x larger than most cars.
That's how cars should be made. Easy to maintain and upgrade, without scraping your knuckles.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 190
Looks like ford has taken a turn for the worse since 1986. They have these insane plastic harnesses on the driver side door now so you can't rewire the door without drilling into stuff. And there's so little play in the wiring that you can't even access the wires coming into and out of the fusebox.

water
Unregistered guest
so glass if i got a isolator and a yellow top
my sterio would run off that alone?

can the same be done with batcap in the back somewere?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1411
There's two lil notches in that "insane plastic harness" you can squeeze two sets of 16 gauge speaker wire through. What I did with my Explorer. Not fun, but it can be done w/o drilling holes.

Oh and water, with an isolator your stereo would only be running off the the yellowtop alone when the engine's off. With the engine cranked your alternator would still be powering your system.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 196
Fishy, thats exactly what I did, but i cut a hole in the rubber gasket so that I could get the wire into the car. What other option is there?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1414
You can run a couple speaker wires between that rubber boot and the plastic plug alongside the other wires going into the vehicle. Its kind of hard to explain but there's a lil zip tie like deal that keeps the boot on the plastic plug. You run the wires through the gap between the plug and the boot.

There's two notches on the front and the back of the receptacle for the plug where it goes in the door. There's a bolt on top of the assembly(10 mm I think) which you can loosen to unplug the thing. Once you do that you'll be able to see the two notches I'm talking about. Even though the wires come outside of the plug before going in the door you can't really see them as they immediately go through those two notches after the plug has been retightened.

They're pretty small so I doubt you could get anything much bigger than 16 gauge through them with crushing the insulation when you tighten the plug down again.

Guesss pics would be more helpful. :P

-Fishy

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 503
i have an 88 mustang so i have room... i would put it where the ac is ,, its broken anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us