PLEASE PLEASE HELP WITH MY AMP PROBLEM!!

Username: Pinifinina

Post Number: 3
I have installed an amp into my car, when I start the motor and turn the headlight on, there will be a high pitch engine noise coming into my amp and out from the speakers, it gets louder if I rev the car, please help, how do I get rid off it..is it the amp earth problem?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8123
bad ground at the amp or head unit, or the amp is defective due to a bad internal ground.

that whine is caused by a ground loop.
you're hearing alternator noise

BRENT101
Unregistered guest
Change your RCA cables. Seperate them from being to close to the power.

Post Number: 4
SO does this means that I need to change my ground location for the amp? Also I did try to seperate the RCA from the power lead, it doesn't seems too work...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8168
ground should be less than 24" long, and should be made to bare sanded metal with a secure connection for a good ground point.

also try turning the gain on the amplifier down.. if its set too high that also causes a whine in speakers as well as can cause damage to them

Post Number: 6
If I turn the gain down, the noise will reduce, but I'm just thinking is it normal to have that noise even if you turn the gain up? Also, if I place a noise filter before the headunit, will it help? Because I don't think the sound is from amp, I think the noise is coming from the headunits preout...Strange thing is the noise only appears when the headlight is on...If I just start the motor, there is no noise...but whe headlight is on... the noise comes....???What a headache!!!

Anonymous

Yep, that's car audio....it's a temperamental thing.

Glass is correct on the grounding. I had similar problems to yours. But after keeping the grounding to less than 2ft, sanded the chassis (a good 2 1/2inches in diameter) to bare metal and bolt the ground wire (4awg) properly and making sure the power wires run on one side of the car, the speaker wires on the other and RCA wires in the middle. If they need to cross only cross them perpendicular to one another. Doing so will reduce your problem significantly. IMO a good wiring job shouldn't need a noise filter or suppressor.

oh, btw do turn down the gain to 1/4 way. See how u go 1st and increase it gradually if need be.

Hope that helps dude.

Post Number: 7
Thanks man, I tried to bolt the ground wire to one of the 4 holes where the passenger seats are bolted. I sanded the body of the car and didn't sand the metel near the hole of the seat, is that ok? Is that a good place to bolt the ground wire? Because there are no spare hole in the car where the ground wire can be bolted on? Or do I really need to drill a hole myself?

Also, assume that the noise is coming from the power line to the headunit and then travel through the preout and to RCA and into the AMP, does it matter how the wiring is made? Because clearly it is the powerline to the headunit.I found everyone is trying to avoide using noise suppressor, why? If the noise supressor can get rid off the noise, why didn't everyone just install that and save all the time and trouble to figure out what the problems is??

Anonymous

u have to sand back to bare metal (around the hole) where the ground is to be bolted on. ie. 2 1/2 inches in diameter of paint to be stripped off around the hole. I didn't meant for u to sand the body of the car. lol

Try not to drill any more holes than what the car has already got. hehe

Believe me Pini, wiring is definately important if u want a clean sound sys. and not hear those annoying "fiiuuuu" noise or little thuds everytime u start, stop or rev. ya car. Heck of a job but it's all worth it mate.

Noise suppressor r for wuss and sweat shop jobs.

Post Number: 8
Thanks Anonymous, I don't really understand what you mean by noise suppressor r for sweat shop jobs? Do you mean it is hard to installed?
Also, I place my amp under the passenger seat, one side of my amp got all the battery, ground,remote and all the speakers outputs, another side got all the RCA inputs. Can you suggest me how should I do the wiring? What I got so far is the RCAs r facing the passenger door, and all the speakers and power r facing the driver. I run the battery cord from battery to the passenger's door sill and to the battery ternimal on the amp. I run all the RCA and speakers wire through the middle of the car(where the gear shift is) to the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 74
1. Make sure all your ground is good.
2. Run your Audio signal separate from your Power wire.
3. Turn your amp gain all the way down. set your HU volumn at 75% then slightly turn the amp gain to the comfortable listening level.

If you have done this and the noise is still there. Try to change the audio cable

Post Number: 9
THank you Winn...I have tried everything!! Man!! I'm going crazy!!!! I just can't get the noise out!!!THe only thing I havn't try is change the RCA cable to better one..Is there anyway I test see if it is my RCA cable is causing the problem.??

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 81
just find the new one and hook it up directly outside from your HU and amp. If the noise still there... you're likely having the ground loop issue.

Follow this artical to findout.

https://myeporia.eporia.com/resources/company_38/techpaper103.pdf

Good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us