System ideas

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Connecticut US

Post Number: 198
hey, I am currently running a pair of kicker L7's in a ported box tuned to 37hz. its running off kicker kx1200.1 and my components are infinity kappa perfect 6.1's running off kicker kx350.2. This wont be for a while but it cant hurt to get ideas. right now im into the nice SPL but in my upgrade when I get bored of this system im going all SQ. I like kicker amps and speakers, and the infinity's are great its unbelievable they keep up with the SPL on the L7's they dont get drownd out at all. I would like some suggestions on a SQ system including all the parts: HU,Amps,Subs,Components

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8094
keep the kicker 350.s and the perfect 6.1 fronts
keep the kx1200.1 and pick up a second one
get a pair of RE XXX 12" subs instead of the L7s
add an audiocontrol DQX 1/3 octave digital EQ for sound shaping on an RTA
upgrade the electrical system to handle the current demands
sound deaden the entire cabin and trunk of the car, floorboards to roof
use kickpods made of fiberglass for better imaging with the front stage
forego any rear fill
use a sealed or aperiodic box if you have a trunk for the RE subs for SQ.

that'd do it

Silver Member

Connecticut US

Post Number: 203
I was thinking about running 4 10" comp VR's off the kx1200.1, I allready have a HO alternator so im set on the electrical system demands, Wouldnt 10" subs be the best for SQ over the 12"s? also I have a hatchback how would I sound deaden the trunk(I have that little fabric peace that can move around on the cealing of it) and how do you exactly sound deaden, do you just take all the paneling off and glue it to the interior walls?

Silver Member

Connecticut US

Post Number: 204
and what would a EQ do for me? how can it be installed, expensive? is it really worth it?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8138
the diameter of the cone isn't as critical to SQ as the BL or motor strength.. if the motor is strong enough, it can control the driver just as well at 12" as at 10" whereas if the motor is weak, it could be an 8" sub and still sound sloppy.

to deaden the trunk, strip out all the liner material, use dynamat or a spray in liner, then replace the hatch liner material over that. This will dampen the metal surfaces from vibrating.

the 1/3 octave EQ is a set-and-forget item. once it's configured, it adjusts for the car's inadequacies of environment, reflections, peaks and dips in the curve.. after it's set you just mount it in the trunk or whatever and leave it.
it can be enabled or bypassed with a button to see the differences with and without EQing. Very vital to a SQ system if you want an acurate sound curve or want to compensate for bright spots or loss in certain frequency bands due to speaker position, lack of coverage, or whatever.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1576
where do you install the 1/3 octave EQ ? Connections and such. Also where can you get a good one online ?

Silver Member

Connecticut US

Post Number: 206
so the EQ would set itself? or would I have to adjust it?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8164
you have a professional set the EQ using a tool called an RTA.

go to audiocontrol.com and download the manual for the DQT to learn about what they are.

Silver Member

Connecticut US

Post Number: 207
kinda sounds like a waste of time, its very confusing.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8192
that all depends on how much you want a good SQ system.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3562
No one said SQ was easy. This is why most go with SPL.
Do what Glasswolf said. It is well worth the trouble. The SQ difference could be night and day in some situations.
Don't try to set it by ear. It only works with simple setups. RTA is a must.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us